Creich

Description of the parish in 1852

Map showing the location of the parish

"Creich parish is about 3 miles in length and 2 in breadth. Its surface is nearly level, and the soil sandy & thin; but agriculture is making rapid improvements. On a little eminence near the church are the vestiges of a Roman camp, and at a short distance therefrom are the remains of a castle, which formerly belonged to Cardinal Beaton. This parish was the birthplace of the Rev John Sage, the first of the post-revolution bishops in the Scottish episcopal communion, and the author of that very remarkable production the 'Fundamental Charter of Presbytery'." from Slater's Directory published 1852.

Towns and Villages

Brunton
Luthrie

Places in Creich parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives and Libraries

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

Cemeteries

Creich Churchyard, Brunton (grid ref. NO 326214, GPS: 56.379811 -3.091214 Google map):

Census

The original 1841 census returns were lost in transit to Edinburgh.

Parish / district reference number for 1851 - 1891 censuses: 418
District reference number for 1901 census: 418a

The 1851 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

The 1861 census has been indexed and can be downloaded here

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Creich - 1042254 103826 103988 203518 208750
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the Parish Church, there was a Free Church of Scotland in Creich.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1838) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church of Flisk & Creich.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history:

The old church of Creich, which now lies in ruins having been replaced in 1832 when a new church was opened, was dedicated to St Serf and belonged, prior to the reformation, to the Abbey of Lindores. In 1947 Moonzie was linked with Creich. In 1971 Creich formed a link with the parish of Flisk and also of Kilmany, under the name of Creich, Flisk and Kilmany, and a link was later established between the united parish and Monimail in 1983. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Cupar until the restructuring of the presbyteries in 1976, when it became part of the Presbytery of St Andrews.
 

The minister of Flisk parish church, Dr J W Taylor, came out at the Disruption in 1843. The Free Church adherents in Flisk and Creich and in the adjacent parts of Balmerino and Kilmany were formed into a congregation under Dr Taylor, and a church and manse was built in 1843-44. The mainly rural population of the area declined with the disappearance of handloom weaving. In 1900 the congregation became part of the United Free Church on the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church, but the serving minister was appointed on a yearly basis only after 1917, and on the union of the United Free Church and the Chuch of Scotland in 1929 the congregation was united with Creich parish church under the designation Creich.

Church Records

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 418

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Creich OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
418/1 1695-1819 1694-1819 1783-1819
418/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1854
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  and M.  intermixed 1694 - Dec. 1711, and Jan. 1720 - Nov. 1806. Entries prior to 1703 irregular. Only one entry of B. Aug. 1704 - June 1706. Mothers' names not recorded in entries of B. till Dec. 1743. Only one entry of M. July 1783 - Nov. 1785. There are also separate Records of B. and M. commencing 1797.
D.  Burials intermixed with B. and M. Oct. 1783 - Sept. 1794, then blank till April 1817, after which a separate Record of Deaths and Burials.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040099 Item 4 Baptisms, Marriages, 1694-1819; Burials, 1783-1794, 1817-1820.
1040100 Item 1 Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, 1820-1854.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Heritors' Records (HR273) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Other Churches :

Records for other churches are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library.

Some of the pre-1855 baptism and marriage registers have been transcribed and published.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

The Creich page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Creich 418 1855 1892
Creich 418a 1893 1967
Cupar 420 1968 1971
Cupar 417 1972 2002
Fife 417 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Creich old church Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5622'47"N
NO 327214 56.380078
-3.091392
KY15 4PA Lon. 35'26"W

Surrounding parishes: Balmerino, Flisk, Dunbog, Monimail, Moonzie, Kilmany.

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Creich parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land and Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps: Present-day maps:

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Return to top of page

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 26.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. See Public Records below.

  • Schools
  • Population

    Year Population
    1755 375
    1801 405
    1851 386
    1901 297
    1951 238

    There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

    See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

    Probate Records

    Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

    Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Creich may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

    Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

    Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

    Public Records

    Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.

    At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

    Schools

    School Board records and school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Creich records:

    At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

    Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.

    Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

    School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
    Creich Creich 104 76

    Statistics

    "Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

    Taxation

    The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

    See also the Early Taxation Records page.

    Return to top of page