Culross Parish Records


Church History

The West Kirk was the original parish church before the Reformation.

After the Reformation, the choir and transepts of the Monastery of the Abbey were taken over as the parish church. By Charter of 20 June 1589, James VI erected the rectory and vicarage of Culross with manse and glebe. The medieval church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Serf by Malcolm, Earl of Fife in the thirteenth century. Ministry began in 1567 in the person of Robert Dykes, minister. In 1672 the barony of Kincardine-on-Forth and the lands of Larg, Sands and Kellywood were disjoined from Culross and added to Tulliallan. From at least 1976 the session was within the jurisdiction of Dunfermline Presbytery, before which it was within the jurisdiction of Dunfermline and Kinross Presbytery from at least 1955. Prior to that time the session was within the jurisdiction of Dunfermline Presbytery. On 13 January 1943 the session united with the United Free Church of Culross, St. Kentigern's. On 1 September 1983 the union of Culross Abbey, Toryburn and Newmills formed Culross and Toryburn Kirk Session.

Culross Free Church was formed at the Disruption and recognised as a station in 1846. The church building dated from the following year, but sanction as a full charge came only in 1867. It passed successively to the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, in the latter case as Culross St Kentigern's, which united with Culross Abbey under that name in 1943. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

A transcript of these Free Church baptisms has been published by the Fife Family History Society Baptismal Registers No. 1 and is also available on CD:
Culross Free Church Baptisms
CH3/1397/6 1845-1854
Return to top of page

Court Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Local History Department, Dunfermline Carnegie Library:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)