Dairsie

Description of the parish in 1852

Map showing the location of the parish

"Dairsie is a parish and village - the latter a small one, situated on the main road from Cupar to Dundee, 3 miles from the former and 8 from the latter town. The river Eden, which intersects the parish, is crossed by a good bridge of 3 arches, erected by Archbishop Spottiswoode, who was the proprietor of the Dairsie estate. The church, which is in the Saxon style of architecture, and surmounted by a neat spire, was built at the commencement of the 17th century. Dairsie castle, now a ruin, is noted as having been the residence of Archbishop Sharp, as well as the place where a parliament was called upon to assemble in the year 1335. Chapelwell, in this parish, in high repute for the healing properties of its waters, is the site of a Roman Catholic chapel, of which no remains are visible. This parish is nearly 3 miles in extent each way; with little exception, the whole is fine arable land, and freestone and whinstone abound beneath its surface." from Slater's Directory published 1852.

Towns and Villages

Dairsie (formerly called Osnaburgh)

Places in Dairsie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

Cemeteries

Dairsie Cemetery and Churchyard, Dairsie Mains (south of the village - grid ref. NO 414161, GPS: 56.333628 -2.949352):
Return to top of page

Census

The original 1841 census returns were lost in transit to Edinburgh.

Parish / district reference number for 1851 - 1901 censuses: 421

The 1851 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed and published by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

The 1861 census has been indexed and can be downloaded here

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Dairsie - 1042254 103827 103989 203519 208751
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was also a Free Church (later United Free) in Dairsie.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) does not mention any dissenters from the Established Church.

The New Statistical Account (written in 1843) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 421

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Dairsie OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
421/1 1645-1819 1666-1819 1727-1819
421/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank March 1656 - Jan. 1666, Dec. 1675 - Feb. 1699 (exc. two entries 1694 - 1695). Leaves of Record 1700 - 1708 much wasted, and many of the entries partially destroyed. Duplicate of Record 1727 - 1765, and a more modern transcript commencing Feb. 1705, which is continued after 1770 as the principal Register. Mothers' names not recorded till 1774.
M.  blank (exc. one entry for 1695) Nov. 1675 - Nov. 1727, Nov. 1749 - Jan. 1753, Nov. 1763 - Nov. 1783, Nov. 1794 - Nov. 1804. No entry for 1809. Blank Nov. 1812 - May 1815.
D.  (Burials.) Blank 1729 - 1734, Dec. 1739 - July 1744, Dec. 1753 - Sept. 1755, Nov. 1769 - Oct. 1783, Sept. 1794 - Feb. 1803.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040127 Items 1 - 2 Baptisms, 1645-1655, 1666-1675, 1694-1770, 1727-1765, 1705- 1854; Marriages, 1666-1675, 1695, 1705, 1714-1763, 1749-1769, 1783- 1794, 1804-1854; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1744-1769; Burials, 1727-1739, 1749-1769, 1783-1794, 1803-1854.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR175) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for other churches are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library.

Details of church records here.

The Dairsie page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Dairsie 421 1855 1967
Cupar 420 1968 1971
Cupar 417 1972 2002
Fife 417 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description & Travel

Dairsie village centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5620'40"N
NO 413174 56.345294
-2.951259
KY15 4SS Lon. 257'8"W

Surrounding parishes: Kemback, Cupar, Kilmany, Logie, Leuchars.

There is an informative Dairsie website.

Return to top of page

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Dairsie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:
Return to top of page

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 27.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 469
1801 550
1851 708
1901 464
1951 492

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Dairsie may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board Records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Dairsie Dairsie 135 116

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

Hearth Tax and other 18th century assessed tax records are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page