GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Contents Contents Fife towns and parishes Fife Towns & Parishes Neighboursnearby places

Dalgety

Map showing the location of the parish

"Dalgety parish is bounded by Dunfermline, Beath, Aberdour and Inverkeithing. It is triangular in shape, being about 5 miles from north to south and 3 miles along the shores of the Forth. Coal abounds in the parish and there is an extensive colliery at Fordel, employing nearly half the Population. The present parish church was built in 1830, and there is also a chapel of ease at Mossgreen. Most of the coal is shipped at St David’s, a small harbour in the parish, and is conveyed hither from the pits by means of a small railway. The villages in the parish are St David’s, Fordel, part of Crossgates and part of Hillend." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

part of Crossgates part of Hillend
Dalgety Bay Mossgreen
Fordel St Davids

Places in Dalgety parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

There is a chapter about Dalgety in Mercer's History of Dunfermline, published 1828, is at Google Books.

Cemeteries

There are 4 cemeteries and 1 private burial chapel in Dalgety parish:

1. St Bridget's Churchyard, Four Lums Road, Dalgety Bay (grid ref. NT 169838, GPS: 56.039842 -3.335377):

2. Dalgety Churchyard, Four Lums Road, Dalgety Bay (grid ref. NT 167845, GPS: 56.046095 -3.338804):

3. Hillend Cemetery, Clockluine Road, Hillend (grid ref. NT 146842, GPS: 56.043030 -3.372409):

4. Mossgreen Cemetery, Coaledge, by Crossgates (grid ref. NT 153887, GPS: 56.083574 -3.362602):

5. A private burial chapel at Fordell (grid ref. NT 146854, GPS: 56.053808 -3.372792):

The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions for Dalgety Churchyard and Dalgety (St Bridget's) Churchyard are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972.

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 422

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on theFreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Dalgety 1042700 1042254 103827 103989 203519 208751
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1836) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and another Established Church at Mossgreen.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 422

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Dalgety OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
422/1 1644-1650 1644-1707 1697-1709
422/2 1717-1819 1709-1819 1710-1785
422/3 1820-1854 1820-1854 1833-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank May 1650 - March 1717. One leaf headed 'Seceders' containing entries 1777 - 1783, after Record for 16th Dec. 1778.
M.  blank 1662 - 1698, from which date there are only entries of Proclamation Fees till Oct. 1717. Only one entry for 1726. Blank July 1794 - May 1797, and July 1804 - May 1811. There are, however, entries relating to irregular Marriages, dated 1741 - 1813, a number of which are applicable to the period blank in the regular Record.
D.  Mortcloth Dues till June 1717, then Deaths to end of Record. Blank March 1748 - March 1750. After Nov. 1785, only nine entries, viz. one for 1817, and eight for period 1833 - 1852.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040127 Items 3 - 5 Baptisms, 1644-1650, 1717-1854; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations), 1644-1662; Marriages, 1698-1707, 1718-1817, 1784-1840; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1697-1709; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues), 1709-1717; Burials, 1718- 1785.
1040126 Item 1 Marriages, 1839-1855; Burials, 1833, 1843-1854.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (422/1 and 422/2). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR185) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Most records of other churches are held by the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Details of church records here.

The Dalgety page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Dalgety 422 1855 1967
Dunfermline 424 1968 1971
Dunfermline 432 1972 2002
Fife 432 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Fife Family History Society have transcribed a list of Dalgety Jurors, 1851 on the Records pages of their website.

Description & Travel

Dalgety Bay town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 562'11"N
NT 156835 56.036920
-3.356142
KY11 9UY Lon. 321'23"W

Surrounding parishes: Inverkeithing, Dunfermline, Aberdour.

There is an informative Dalgety Bay website.

Return to top of page

Directories

Westwood's ParochialDirectory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Dalgety parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:
Return to top of page

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 27.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by theParochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Dunfermline combination poorhouse.

Population

Year Population
1755 761
1801 890
1851 1513
1901 1133
1951 1578

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Dalgety may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Dalgety Hillend 268 190
Mossgreen 268 190

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 18 September, 2013