Falkland Parish Records


Church History

The church of Falkland, which was known of old as Kilgour, belonged prior to the reformation to the Priory of St Andrews and the kirk session records ministry from 1565, in the person of Alexander Mure. In 1431 the parish church was rebuilt by the Prior of St Andrews, the preceding building having been destroyed by fire in around the year 1425, and in the early years of the 16th cent a new church termed, 'the new church of Falkland ', was erected. The old church at Kilgour survived until 1825 when its foundation stones were dug up to be used for alternative purposes, and 'the new church of Falkland' was in turn replaced by the present day building in 1850. In 1981, the kirk session of Falkland, which sat within the Presbytery of Cupar until the restructuring of the Presbyteries in 1976 when it became part of the Presbytery of St Andrews, established a link with Freuchie.

The parish church of Freuchie was opened for worship on the 15th October 1876 and the parish itself was disjoined from that of Falkland, and erected quoad sacra on the 15th March 1880. Following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Freuchie Parish church, (which was termed for a time after the 1929 union, Freuchie West) established a link between the years of 1935 and 1949 with the former United Free Church congregation of Freuchie Scott Memorial. Freuchie was later linked with Falkland in 1981. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Cupar, until the restructuring of the presbyteries in 1976, when it became part of the Presbytery of St Andrews.

At the Disruption in 1843 the minister of Falkland Parish Church, along with a number of his congregation, adhered to the Free Church and the first Falkland Free Church communion service took place on the West Green on 16 July 1843. During the initial months the congregation worshipped in the Congregational Church, and latterly in the town hall, until a church was erected and opened in March 1845. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, Falkland Free Church became the United Free Church of Falkland and following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Falkland U.F. was termed Falkland East Kirk Session. Falkland East later went on to unite with the charge of Falkland Old, under the name of Falkland, and after this union the East church was converted for use as a church hall.

A meeting place on the site of the present day Lumsden Hall was erected in 1795 in connection with the Associate (Burgher) Presbytery of Perth. This congregation later became the United Presbyterian congregation. The United Presbyterian Church was built in 1869 with seatings for 520 and replaced the 1795 meeting place. In time, the United Presbyterian Church became the United Free Church. The church building was named the Scott Memorial Church.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

At the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, USA, but available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centres around the world:
Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)