Balmerino Parish Records


Church History

The parish church of Forgan, which was rebuilt on a new site a mile to the west in 1841, was dedicated to St Fillan and formerly belonged to the Priory of St Andrews. In 1980 Forgan united with the charges of Newport St Fillan's and Newport St Thomas's to form the session of Newport-on-Tay. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
St Thomas's was established as a chapel of ease in 1870, and in 1875 the parish of Newport was erected quoad sacra. It was in the Presbytery of St Andrews and Synod of Fife until c1929, thereafter in the Presbytery of Dundee and Synod of Angus and Mearns. In 1980 Newport: St Thomas's was united with Newport: St Fillan's and with Forgan under the designation Newport-on-Tay.
The minister of Forgan came out of the Church of Scotland with many of his congregation at the time of the Disruption in 1843, and Newport Free Church was erected for them in 1844 in the small Fife village of Newport. The congregation joined the United Free Church in 1900 on the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church. From 1902 to c1929 the charge, under the name Newport: St Fillan's, was in the United Free Church's Presbytery of St Andrews and Synod of Fife and Angus. After the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929, the charge was in the Presbytery of Dundee and Synod of Angus and Mearns. In 1980 Newport: St Fillan's was united with Newport: St Thomas's and with Forgan under the designation Newport-on-Tay.
The evangelical activities of the Haldane brothers provoked a growth in non-conformity in Fife. The congregation at Newport was flourishing in 1890 and was closed in 1986 although the trustees continued to meet until 1988 to dispose of assets.
The church website has detailed information about its history.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.

At the Newport Library and Heritage Centre, Blyth Street, Newport-on-Tay:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)