GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Inverkeithing Inverkeithing

Inverkeithing Parish Records



Church History

The churches of Rosyth and Inverkeithing were united in 1611 by the Commissioners for the modification of stipends and the erection of churches. The union of the two kirks was later decreed in 1618 by the Commissioner for the Plantation of Kirks. The church of Rosyth, said to be dedicated to St John, ceased to be used as a place of worship shortly after 1630 and now stands as a ruin. Inverkeithing Church, which was dedicated to St Peter was used as the place of worship from 1630. The Kirk Session of Inverkeithing St Peters sits within the presbytery of Dunfermline.

The parish church of Rosyth was opened and consecrated on Saturday 11th July 1931 and the parish itself was later erected quoad sacra by the General Assembly in 1935. Some years prior to the erection of the parish, worship had been carried out in Rosyth from 1916 by the Home Mission Committees of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, with each church in turn supplying ministry for six months and service held in temporary accommodation. In 1919 the Church of Scotland took over work in Rosyth and from August 1920 Rosyth was recognised as a mission station, under Inverkeithing St Peter's. The kirk session, which remains active today, presently sits within the Presbytery of Dunfermline.

The congregtion of Inverkeithing Associate (Burgher) Church was established in 1752, following the presentation of a petition to the Burgher Presbytery of Perth and Dunfermline, signed by around 127 town coucillors, heads of familes, and others resident within Inverkeithing, requesting provision of sermon. The request was granted and in the following year a church with seating for 600 was erected. David Forrest, the first minister of the congregation was ordained in January 1755. In 1847 Inverkeithing Burgher Church became part of the United Presbyterian Church. Following the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church in 1900, Inverkeithing U.P. became Inverkeithing United Free Church and upon the 1929 union between the United Free Church of Scotlland and the Church of Scotland, the charge was renamed Inverkeithing St John's Church of Scotland. In 1958 a link was established between Inverkeithing St John's Church of Scotland and North Queensferry Church of Scotland and the linked congregation remains active today, under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Dunfemline.

North Queensferry Free Church began with the provision of regular services from 1874. A church was opened in 1878 and the charge sanctioned in 1881. It passed successively to the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, but was reduced in status in 1939 and worked thereafter by probationers until 1951. The Church of Scotland charge has been linked with Inverkeithing St John's since 1958. It is in the presbytery of Dunfermline (formerly Dunfermline and Kinross) and was in the synod of Fife until the abolition of synods in 1993.

-

-

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Glasgow City Archives:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Local History Department, Dunfermline Carnegie Library:

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At Inverkeithing Museum (at the Friary):

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the NationalArchives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Inverkeithing Burgh Register of Deeds (1716-1884).
Return to top of page

Occupations

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Inverkeithing Burgh Register of Deeds (1713-1801).

At the Local History Department, Dunfermline Carnegie Library:

At Inverkeithing Museum (at the Friary):

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)


Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 18 January, 2013


GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. © GENUKI and contributors 1997-2014.
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.