Kinghorn Parish Records


Church History

Information about the Invertiel churches on the Kirkcaldy page.

An authoritative book is Kirkcaldy's Churches, 1999, Kirkcaldy Civic Society, ISBN 0946294178, available from Fife Family History Society. The much briefer historical notes below were provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN).

The church of Kinghorn was dedicated to St Serf and was granted to Holyrood Abbey by King William the Lion between 1165 and 1177. Ministry of the parish is recorded from 1562. The present parish church was built in 1774 and renovated in 1894. There was also a quoad sacra church built within the parish in the village of Invertiel, or Westbridge. Following 1929, when the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church were joined together, Kinghorn parish church, which had become known as Kinghorn St Leonard's, was united with the former United Free Church congregation of Kinghorn Rosslands in 1961. After the union the kirk session reverted back to the name of Kinghorn. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.
The congregation of Kinghorn United Associate Church (Relief and Burgher congregation) was established in 1778 following the presentation of a petition to the Relief Presbytery of Glasgow, requesting that sermon be provided at Kinghorn. The congregation was duly formed and in 1779 a church with 550 sittings was erected. Additionally in 1779 Joseph Johnstone, the first minister of Kinghorn Relief Church, was ordained however in 1788 Rev. Johnstone chose to return to the Established Church and withdrew his position at Kinghorn. Following his resignation a request in the name of elders, mangers and members of Kinghorn Relief Church was presented to the Burgher Presbytery of Dunfermline, requesting that they be taken under the Burgher Presbytery's charge. This transferal was immediately agreed to and Kinghorn Relief became Kinghorn Burgher Church, with many Burgher families in the area, who had prior to this time had to travel to Kirkcaldy for sermon, consequently joining with the congregation. In 1847 Kinghorn Burgher Church became part of the United Presbyterian Church and in 1900, upon the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland, Kinghorn Free Church was renamed Kinghorn Rosslands United Free Church. In 1918 a union was established with the former Free Church charge of Kinghorn Ladyburn , under the name of Kinghorn United Free Church. After the local union the Rosslands Church continued in use as the place of worship and the former Ladyburn church was sold. In 1929, following the union of the United Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland, Kinghorn U.F. became Kinghorn Rosslands Church of Scotland and a further union followed in 1961 with the congregation of Kinghorn St Leonard's, under the name of Kinghorn Church of Scotland, and under the ministry of Rev J.A. Nisbit, minister at Kinghorn St Leonard's. The congregation of Kinghorn Church of Scotland remains active today and presently sits within the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.
In 1843, the year of the Disruption, a Free Church Association was formed in Kinghorn and regular service was provided from November of that year. A probationer was appointed to superintend the congregation in May 1844 and Kinghorn Free Church, which sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy, was sanctioned in the following year. The church was erected in 1846. In 1900, upon the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland, Kinghorn Free Church was renamed Kinghorn Ladyburn United Free Church, and in 1918 a union was established with the former U.P. charge of Kinghorn Rosslands, under the name of Kinghorn United Free Church. After the local union the Rosslands Church continued in use as the place of worship and the former Ladyburn church was sold.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At Kirkcaldy Museum:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At Kirkcaldy Museum:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)