Kinglassie

Description of the parish in 1852

Map showing the location of the parish

"The parish of Kinglassie extends 4 miles length, by 2 in breadth at its narrowest part and 4 at its broadest. It is watered by the Lochty and the Ore, tributary streams of the Leven. On the first of these stands the irregular village of Kinglassie, which is 2 miles from Leslie, and 3.5 north-east from Lochgelly. There are quarries of freestone, and the coal obtained in this parish is considered the best in the county. The inhabitants of the village are principally supported by weaving. The places of worship are an established and a free church. A fair is entitled to be held on the third Wednesday in May." from Slater's Directory, published 1852.

Towns and Villages

Kinglassie
part of the new town of Glenrothes

Places in Kinglassie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

Cemeteries

There are 2 cemeteries in Kinglassie parish:

1. Kinglassie Churchyard, Church Lane, Kinglassie (grid ref. NT 228985, GPS: 56.172872 -3.244961):

2. Kinglassie Cemetery, West End, Kinglassie (grid ref. NT 225983, GPS: 56.171027 -3.249733):

Census

The original 1841 census returns were lost in transit to Edinburgh.

Parish / district reference number for 1851 - 1901 censuses: 440

The 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Kinglassie - 1042269 103830 103992 203525 208759
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

At the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online, is MR110/1 - Completed occupier’s schedule for Chewton Cottage in the registration district of Kinglassie (RD 440, ED book 3) for the 1901 census.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church there was a Free Church.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1836) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 440

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Kinglassie OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
440/1 1627-1701 1627-1699 1671-1694
440/2 1701-1819 1702-1813 1709-1714
440/3   1629-1763 1630-1790
440/4 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  and M.  intermixed till June 1647. Blank Dec. 1630 - July 1632.
B.  blank June 1731 - June 1734. Irregular entries 1796 - 1810 recorded in family groups on several leaves after 1796. Many blank spaces occur on the pages of this Record. Mothers' names seldom recorded till 1780.
M.  (Contracts) 1715 - 1731 recorded on alternate pp. with the B. Blank May 1731 - Nov. 1748, from which date ti July 1784, there are occasional entries of sums paid by persons when contracted for Marriage mixed with the entries of Mortcloth Dues for same period. A Record of M. commences Aug. 1780. After May 1782 (exc. Jan. 1787 - Feb. 1790, and 1797) it is one of Contracts only, till Jan. 1834. Defective 1788 - 1796 incl. Blank Jan. 1798 - Aug. 1820. There is, however, also a Record of Proclamations and Marriages from Feb. 1822. Separate Record of Contracts of M., etc., 1629 - 1647.
D.  Exc. a few entries among Contracts of M. from 1630, there is no Record prior to July 1671; then Mortcloth Dues till 1694. Blank July 1694 - Nov. 1709. Burials from last date till Jan. 1714. Blank again till Feb. 1721, after which Mortcloth Dues, intermixed with other matters.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040177 Baptisms, 1627-1819, 1804-1818; Marriages, 1627- 1734, 1748-1813; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1671-1694; Burials, 1709-1714, 1754; Session book (includes some Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues), 1629-1647, 1703, 1721-1774.
1040196 Item 1 Baptisms, Marriages, 1820-1854; Burials, 1820-1855.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (440/3). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR256) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

The location of records of Kinglassie Free Church is not known.

Details of church records here.

The Kinglassie page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Kinglassie 440 1855 1967
Glenrothes 433 1968 1971
Glenrothes 420 1972 2002
Fife 420 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description & Travel

Kinglassie town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5610'25"N
NT 229986 56.173787
-3.243380
KY5 0XA Lon. 314'33"W

Surrounding parishes: Leslie, Markinch, Dysart, Auchterderran, Portmoak (Kinross-shire).

Return to top of page

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Kinglassie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

Before May 1891, the boundary between Fife and Kinross had been the River Leven. However, a new river channel was cut between 1826 and 1836. On 15th May 1891, the new river channel became the county boundary. The following subjects, north of the new channel, were transferred from the parish of Kinglassie and the county of Fife to the parish of Portmoak and the county of Kinross: part of Auchmuir farm (which became part of Bowhouse farm). In return, parts of Bowhouse and Kinneston farms in Portmoak, south of the new cut, were transferred to Kinglassie (and became parts of Craigend and Auchmuir farms).

On the same date, Easter Balbeadie, Craigend and part of Wester Balbeadie were transferred from Ballingry parish to Kinglassie parish. Also, a detached part of the parish of Portmoak (consisting of The Ryelaw) was transferred from Portmoak and the county of Kinross to Kinglassie and the county of Fife.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

History

Notices from the Local Records of Dysart, a compilation from various sources covering both parish and burgh matters from 1534 to 1697, published in 1853, is available online at the Internet Archive. It includes references to matters in this parish.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Return to top of page

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 998
1801 908
1851 1186
1901 1478  * boundary changed
1951 2521

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Kinglassie may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Kirkcaldy (SC23) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Kinglassie Cluny 70 121
Kinglassie 248 121

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page