Leslie Parish Records


Church History

The church of Leslie, named of old Fettykil, was dedicated to St Mary and formerly belonged to the Abbey of Inchcolm. Ministry of the session is recorded from 1567 in the person of Andrew Angus, reader. The church, which was known by the name of Christ's Kirk on the Green, was rebuilt in 1820. In 1991 the Kirk Session, which sits within the presbytery of Kirkcaldy, was renamed Glenrothes Christ's Kirk.

Leslie Free Church, which sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy, was established in 1843 at the time of the Disruption, when the adherents of the Free Church resident in the area formed themselves into a congregation. Worship initially took place in the Original Secession Church until their own church, situated in Murray Place, was opened in 1844, a new church was later erected in High Street in 1879. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Leslie Free Church became Leslie Logan United Free Church, and in 1918 Leslie Logan U.F. was joined wiith the congregation of Leslie Trinity, under the name of Leslie Logan Martin. After the local union the former Trinity church continued in use as the place of worship for the united charge.

The congregation of Leslie First U.P. Church, which belonged to the Burgher branch of the Secession Church, can be traced back to 1748 when the Burgher Presbytery was petitioned by a number of persons resident in and around Leslie, requesting that they be provided with sermon. Supply sermon was provided at least once each month from this time, however after a period of two years the Burgher families living in Falkland, and also those residing on the east side of Leslie, were annexed to recently established congregations in Auchtermuchty and in Kennoway. This left the congregation so reduced in numbers that the Burgher cause at Leslie had to be dissolved for a time. A revival however took place in 1761, and 10 years later in 1771 a church, which was to serve the congregation for nearly 90 years, was opened. During the following year, John Morton, the first minister of the charge, was ordained. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Leslie Free Church became Leslie Trinity United Free Church, and in 1918 Leslie Trinity U.F. was joined with the congregation of Leslie Logan, under the name of Leslie Logan-Martin. After this local union, the former Trinity church continued in use as the place of worship for the united charge, and following the 1929 union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Leslie Logan-Martin U.F. became Leslie Logan-Martin Church of Scotland. In 1956 Leslie Logan-Martin was joined with the charge of Leslie West and Prinlaws, to form the session of Leslie Trinity Church of Scotland. The congregation sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy throughout its existence.

In 1737 and 1738 several Praying Societies from the parishes of Leslie, Falkland and Markinch acceded to the Associate Presbytery, and on the 25th March 1742 the first meeting of the session of Leslie Associate Congregation took place. John Erskine, the first minister of the congregation, was later ordained in 1744 and the first church of the charge was erected soon after. John Erskine however died in 1951 aged 29, and as a consequence of the fact that it was a time when preachers were few, and calls to individuals were many, Leslie Associate Congregation lay vacant for six years, until the appointment of the second minister, Simon Dempster, in 1757. In 1848, during a meeting of the congregation, a motion was passed stating that the charge should apply to the United Presbyterian Church, and as a result Leslie Associate Congregation became Leslie West, United Presbyterian Church. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Leslie West U.P. became Leslie West United Free Church, and following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Leslie West U.F. became Leslie West Church of Scotland. The charge was reduced in status in 1950, however in 1955 Leslie West united with the charge of Prinlaws under the name of Leslie West and Prinlaws, and a further union was established in the following year with the congregation of Leslie Logan-Martin, to form the session of Leslie Trinity, Church of Scotland. The congregation sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy throughout its existence.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

At the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)