Description of the parish in 1857

Map showing the location of the parish

"Logie parish was anciently called Logie Murdoch. It is bounded on the north and west by Kilmany, on the south by Dairsie and Leuchars, and on the east by Leuchars and Forgan. It is 4 miles in length by 1.25 miles in breadth. It is watered by several burns from the higher grounds. Any good fertile loam is to be found on the sides of the hills; the lower part being generally moorish and thin. The average rent of land may be set down at £2 per acre. This being an agricultural parish, every means has been used to improve it; and were the enclosures better than they are, farmers would rear more sheep than they do, as they are found greatly to improve light dry land; that is, by allowing the land to lie in grass for some years. The sheep are of various breeds. A good deal of cattle are reared here, but more are bought and fattened in winter by turnips for the butcher. The Fife breed answers best. The quaintity of grain grown is in the following order: oats, barley and wheat; then grass, turnip, potatoes, pease and beans, occupy most ground in the order just given. Coal and freestone are not wrought in the parish, but whinstone is very abundant, from being so near the hills. Lucklawhill consists of a yellow coloured porphyry, "very hard, and susceptible of a very fine polish". Parish church and Free church, but no U.P. church. Parish school, but no private school. A library was left by Walter Bowman for the use of the parish about a hundred years ago. There is no public house in the parish. Logie village is a small one, near the parish church, from which the nearest market and post town is Cupar, distant 4.5 miles. There are two other hamlets." - edited from A Descriptive & historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross & Clackmannan, M Barbieri, published in 1857.

Towns and Villages


Places in Logie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives and Libraries

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,


A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.


Logie Churchyard (grid ref. NO 404204, GPS: 56.372173 -2.965958 Google map):

Return to top of page


Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 446

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

The 1861 census has been indexed and can be downloaded here

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Logie 1042703 1042270 103831 103994 203528 208764
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the Parish Church, there was also a Free Church (later the Logie & Gauldry United Free Church).

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1837) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church (Logie and Gauldry).

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 446

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Logie OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
446/1 1660-1819 1660-1819 1780-1819
446/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1851
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  and M.  intermixed till 1817, and D.  (Burials) also mixed up with them 1780 - 1817. After 1817, separate Records of B. M. and D. Mothers' names seldom recorded in entries of B. till Dec. 1799. The fact of Marriage often not added to the entries of Contract 1793 - 1817 incl.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040189 Items 3 - 4 Session book (baptisms, marriage proclamations), 1660-1710; Baptisms, marriages, 1710-1861; Burials, 1780-1851.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (446/1). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR521) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for other churches are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library and at the National Records of Scotland. Details of church records here.

The Logie page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Logie 446 1855 1967
Cupar 420 1968 1971
Cupar 417 1972 2002
Fife 417 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description & Travel

Logie Church Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5622'22"N
NO 405205 56.373041
KY15 4SJ Lon. 258'0"W

Surrounding parishes: Leuchars, Forgan, Kilmany, Dairsie.


Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.


There is a list of places in Logie parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.


Historic maps: Present-day maps:

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.


Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.


Year Population
1755 413
1801 339
1851 467
1901 285
1951 299

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Logie may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.


School Board Records and school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Logie Logie 72 51


"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages


The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page