GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Markinch Markinch

Markinch Parish Records - work in progress



Church History

The church of Markinch was established in the 6th cent and was dedicated to St Drostan however on 19 July 1243, Bishop David de Bernham re-dedicated the Church to St. John the Baptist. The church belonged to the priory of St Andrews. Ministry at Markinch is recorded from 1564 in the person of Peter Watson. In 1929 the Parish became known as Markinch St Drostan's and forty years later in 1969 Markinch St Drostan's united with Markinch St Marks, once more under the name of Markinch Parish Church. The kirk session sat with in the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy and formerly the Synod of Fife. The current church building dates from 1786.

The congregation of Markinch Free Church, which sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy, was established in 1843 at the time of the Disruption when the minister and a number of the congregation of Markinch Parish Church adhered to the Free Church. The church and manse of Markinch F.C. were built and gifted to the session by two members of the congregation. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Markinch Free Church was renamed Markinch Brunton United Free Church and following the 1929 union between the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Markinch Brunton U.F. became Markinch Brunton Church of Scotland. A number of years thereafter in 1956 Markinch Brunton joined with the congregation of Markinch Balbirnie, to form the congregation of Markinch Balbirnie-Brunton, although this name was later changed to Markinch St Mark's. Further union followed in 1969 between Markinch St Mark's and Markinch St Drostan's, under the name of Markinch. This united congregation remains active today, presently under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.

In 1831 Kirkcaldy became the seat of a United Secession Presbytery, and during their first meeting a request was put that regular sermon be supplied in Markinch. This request was granted and a station was opened in November 1833. From this time regular service was provided, with expenses being met by occasional grants from the Home Mission Fund, and Markinch United Associate congregation was sanctioned in 1834. During the following year, William Halley, the first minister of the charge, was ordained and a number of years thereafter in 1898 a new church was opened. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Markinch U.P. Church was renamed Markinch Balbirnie United Free Church and following the 1929 union between the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Markinch Balbirnie U.F. became Markinch Balbirnie Church of Scotland. A number of years thereafter in 1956 Markinch Brunton joined with the congregation of Markinch Balbirnie, to form the congregation of Markinch Balbirnie-Brunton, although this name was later changed to Markinch St Mark's. Further union followed in 1969 between Markinch St Mark's and Markinch St Drostan's, under the name of Markinch. This united congregation remains active today, presently under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.

see under Wemyss parish.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)


Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 15 March, 2009


GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. © GENUKI and contributors 1997-2014.
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.