Newburgh

Description of the parish in 1862

Map showing the location of the parish

"Newburgh parish forms the boundary of the county at its northwest corner. It is bounded by the River Tay, Abdie, Abernethy, Auchtermuchty and Collessie. The parish enjoys good seaward communication through the port of Newburgh, is traversed by the turnpike road from Cupar to Perth, and has a station on the Perth fork of the E P & D Railway. The main part of the Royal Burgh consists of one long street, a range of houses fronting the harbour, and a number of lanes leading down to the shore. A modern suburb on the south, Mount Pleasant, is in Abdie parish. Both the shops and the principal dwelling houses indicate considerable taste and prosperity on the part of the owners. Its situation on the Tay is exceedingly pleasant. The town house, with spire, was erected in 1808. The linen trade is the chief employer in the town. A considerable trade in grain is carried on, with a weekly fair for corn. The harbour consists of a long pier parallel to the river with 4 jetties at right angles to it. There are 20 vessels belonging to the port, of the aggregate burden of 1256 tons; and one packet is regularly engaged in conveying raw material and manufactured produce between the town and Dundee. The principal exports are lime, grain and potatoes; while coal, timber and other miscellaneous goods form the imports. There is a parish church in the burgh, and also 2 UP Churches. There is a Free Church for Newburgh and Abdie but it is situated in Abdie parish." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

Newburgh

Places in Newburgh parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

Newburgh has the Laing Museum which houses both artefacts and information about the town and its history.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books

Old Newburgh (Stenlake Publishing) contains many photographs and full descriptions.

Gordon Johnson has published a genealogical index to Lindores Abbey and its Burgh of Newburgh (published 1876). The book is online at the Open Library.

Cemeteries

There were 2 cemeteries in Newburgh parish:

1. Newburgh Churchyard, site built over, in High Street, next to Town Chambers (grid ref. NO 234183; GPS: 56.350817 -3.241045):

2. Newburgh Cemetery, Cupar Road, Newburgh (grid ref. NO 244182: GPS 56.350079 -3.224840):

The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 3 The north east parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061999

Return to top of page

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 450

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in  LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Newburgh 1042703 1042270 103832 103994 203529 208765
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Church History

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1836) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church, 2 congregations of the United Presbyterian Church, and the Free Church of Abdie & Newburgh.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 450

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Newburgh OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
450/1 1654-1819 1654-1819  
450/2 1820-1854 1820-1854  
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  and M.  intermixed till Dec. 1785. Blank July 1690 - May 1702, exc. one entry of B. 1692, seven entries for 1697 - 1698, and two entries of Contracts of M. 1697 - 1698. After 1750, occasional entries of children baptized by Mr Alexander Moncrieff, Minister of the Associate Congregation at Abernethy. Separate Records of B. and M. after Jan. 1786.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040338 Item 6 Baptisms, Marriages, 1654-1782.
1040169 Items 1 - 2 Baptisms, Marriages, 1782-1855.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records for the parish church (St Katharine's - CH2/277) are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library. Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR650) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Most records of other churches are held by the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library.

Some of the pre-1855 baptism and marriage registers have been transcribed and published.

The LDS have filmed some records which may be consulted at LDS Family History Centres.

Details of church records here.

The Newburgh page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Newburgh burgh 450/1 1855 1855
Newburgh landward 450/2 1855 1855
Newburgh 450 1856 1931
Newburgh & Abdie 450 1932 1967
Newburgh 450 1968 1971
Newburgh 416 1972 2002
Fife 416 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Burgh Court records for Newburgh are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library. Registers of summary trials held at Cupar and Newburgh are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Newburgh town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5621'3"N
NO 235184 56.351731
-3.239456
KY14 6DA Lon. 314'23"W

Surrounding parishes: Abernethy (Perthshire), Auchtermuchty, Collessie, Abdie, by ferry: Errol (Perthshire).

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Newburgh parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, the following subjects were transferred from the parish of Abdie to the parish of Newburgh: Lochmill Farm and Wester Lumbenny Farm.

On the same date, the following subjects, which were always in the County of Fife, were transferred from the parish of Abernethy to the parish of Newburgh: Easter Colzie Farm & woodlands, Colzie Hill and Lumquhat.

The upper parts of Newburgh burgh (Mount Pleasant) are situated in Abdie parish.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Newburgh Burgh Register of Sasines (1784-1946) is at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. (B54).

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Return to top of page

Obituaries

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have recently re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 1347
1801 1936
1851 2986
1901 1780  * boundary changed
1951 2270

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Newburgh may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Newburgh Newburgh 464 326

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Town Records

The archives of the former Burgh of Newburgh (B54) are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library. They include Council Minutes, Registers of Heirs, Burgess Rolls, registers of electors, the Burgh Court Book and Licensing Court records.

There are also some records at the Fife Council Archive Centre.

Details of records here.

Return to top of page