GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Pittenweem Pittenweem

Pittenweem Parish Records



Church History

On the 8th November 1588 the lands of the parish of Pittenweem were disjoined from that of Anstruther Wester by Royal Charter of King James VI, and the parish itself was erected by Act of Parliament on the 28th June 1633. The parish church was built in 1588 and later restored in 1883. In 1941, following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Pittenweem parish church (known after 1929 as Pittenweem St Adrian) was joined with the former United Free Church congregation of Pittenweem St Fillan's. The two charges united under the name of Pittenweem and after the union the former United Free church was converted for use as a church hall. The kirk session of Pittenween, which was linked in 1971 with Carnbee, sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.

The Relief congregation of Pittenweem was first established in 1777 and although the exact date is not recorded, George Haliburton Nicolson, the first minister of the charge, was ordained during the latter half of that year. A new church was opened in 1847, the year that it became part of the United Presbyterian Church, within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the congregation became Pittenweem United Free Church; and following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church Pittenween U.F. was termed Pittenweem St Fillans, Church of Scotland. In 1941 Pittenweem united with the parish church of Pittenweem St Adrian under the name of Pittenweem, and after the union the former United Free church was converted for use as church halls with the parish church remaining in use as the place of worship. The kirk session of Pittenweem, which was linked in 1971 with Carnbee, sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

At the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, USA, but available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centres around the world:

Records retained by the church:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society's website there is an index to Pittenweem Burgh Register of Deeds (1721-1881).
Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society's website there is an index to Pittenweem Burgh Register of Deeds (1721-1881).

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)


Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 9 March, 2012