Description of the parish in 1862

Map showing the location of the parish

"Saline parish is on the western boundary of the county. It is bordered by Clackmannanshire, Culross, Torryburn, Kinross-shire, Dunfermline and Carnock. It is about 5.5 miles from east to west, by about 5 miles north - south. The district is chiefly pastoral, although there are some marshy areas and some good arable areas. Coal, limestone and ironstone abound. The chief employments are connected with coal and ironstone mining, and agriculture. The only work of a manufacturing nature is a rather extensive agricultural implement manufactory conducted by Barrowman & Co. There is both a parish church and a Free church. " edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages


Places in Saline parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,


There is a chapter about Saline in Mercer's History of Dunfermline, published 1828, is at Google Books.

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.


There are 2 cemeteries in Saline parish:

1. Saline Old Churchyard, Bridge Street, Saline (grid ref. NT 024926; GPS: 56.115758 -3.571405 Google map):

2. Saline Cemetery, Drumhead, North Road, Saline (grid ref. NT 016928; GPS: 56.117953 -3.581984 Google map):


Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 455

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in  LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Saline 1042704 1042271 103832 103995 203531 208767
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church (which became Saline South), there was a Free Church in Saline (later Saline North).

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives the number of "sectaries" [those dissenting from the Established Church] as not exceeding 20 or 30.

The New Statistical Account (written in 1842) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 455

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Saline OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
455/1 1746-1819 1747-1819 1747-1810
455/2 1820-1854 1820-1854  
Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  No blanks, but irregular entries occasionally occur.
M.  Blank (exc. one entry) May 1783 - March 1794. No entries Dec. 1798 - Feb. 1800. The Record 1794 - 1817 is, with a few exceptions, one of Proclamations merely.
D.  (Mortcloth Dues.)

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040181 Item 5 Baptisms, 1746-1782.
1040339 Items 1 - 2 Baptisms, 1782-1854; Marriages, 1747-1784, 1794-1854; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1747-1810.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Heritors' Records (HR411) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for other churches are mostly held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

The LDS have filmed some records which may be consulted at LDS Family History Centres.

Details of church records here.

The Saline page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Saline 455 1855 1971
Saline 431 1972 1975
Dunfermline 432 1976 2002
Fife 432 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Fife Family History Society have published a list of Saline Jurors 1851 on the Records  pages of their website.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Saline town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 566'54"N
NT 023925 56.115220
KY12 9UQ Lon. 334'26"W

Surrounding parishes: Culross, Dunfermline, Carnock, in Clackmannanshire: Clackmannan, in Kinross-shire: Fossoway, Cleish.


Westwood's ParochialDirectory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.


There is a list of places in Saline parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, a detached part of Torryburn parish was transferred to the parish of Saline. It comprised Bonnington, Cultmill, Cults, Wester Cults, North Cults, South Cults, Hallcroft and Hallburns, Hillend, Hillside, Meadowland, Pow and Wellwood.
On the same date, a detached portion of Saline parish was transferred to Torryburn parish. It comprised Inzievar, Inzievar Stables, Blair (part), Braidless, Duckill, Langlees, Mavisbank, Rimalton, Sunnyside, Oakley railway station and land near it, Fernwoodlee, Over Inzievar, Blairhall, Brown Muir and Rennieswells.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.


Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Military History

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.


Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have recently re-published it in their Publications Series, 30.


The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Dunfermline combination poorhouse.

Fife Family History Society have published a list of Saline Paupers 1845-1852 on the Records  pages of their website.


Year Population
1755 1285
1801 945
1851 1792
1901 1012  * boundary changed
1951 1413

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Saline may be found in either the Stirling Commissariot (CC21) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include Stirling Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Return to top of page


School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Saline Saline 200 98


"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages


The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.