Scoonie Parish Records


Church History

It is thought that the history of Scoonie Kirk may date as far back as the 4th cent and that the beginnings of the church can be linked to the Shelter of St Ethernanus or Ethernan. The church belonged to the priory of St Andrews, and in 1243 Bishop de Bernham dedicated the Church to St Modwena. By the middle of the 18th cent the church was in such a state of disrepair that the congregation was moved to temporary premises until a new church was built at the present site at Leven in 1775. A new church, which incorporates the 18th cent steeple was subsequently built in 1904. The name Scoonie was dropped towards the end of the 20th cent and the parish is currently termed as Leven Kirk. The Kirk session sits within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.

On the 8 March 1831 a petition for sermon was presented to the Relief Presbytery of Dysart from around 200 residents of Leven and the surrounding district. Their request was granted and in September 1832 the newly formed Relief Congregation of Leven moved in to a newly erected church, which had been built at a cost of £542, this building was later superceded in 1871 when a church with seating for 600 was erected at a cost of £2150. James Vallance, the first minister of the congregation, was ordained in February 1834. In 1847 Leven Relief Congregation became part of the United Presbyterian Church. Following the union between the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, Leven U.P. was renamed Leven St John's United Free Church and upon the 1929 union between the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Leven St John's United Free Church became Leven St John's Church of Scotland. In 1975 Leven St John's formed a union with the congregation of Leven Forman, under the name of Leven St Andrew's. The congregation sat within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.

Leven Free Church was formed at the Disruption by adherents from Scoonie parish. A church was built in the same year (replaced 1871, its predecessor becoming the town hall). It passed successively to the United Free Church, as Leven Forman, and to the Church of Scotland. The Church of Scotland charge, which was in the presbytery of Kirkcaldy and the synod of Fife, united with Leven St John's in 1975 as Leven St Andrew's.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Court Records

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)