Strathmiglo Parish Records


Church History

The church of Strathmiglo, which was rebuilt in 1787, was dedicated to St Martin and formerly existed as a prebend of Dunkeld. Ministry of the session is recorded from 1562, in the person of George Leslie. In 1953, following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Strathmiglo parish church (known after 1929 as Strathmiglo St Martin's) joined with the former United Free Church congregation of Strathmiglo West. The two charges united under the name of Strathmiglo, and after the union the former West church was sold. Further union later followed in 1981 with Edenshead to form the session of Edenshead and Strathmiglo. Strathmiglo Kirk Session sat within the Presbytery of Cupar, until the restructuring of the presbyteries in 1976, when it became part of the Presbytery of St Andrews.

At the time of the Disruption in 1843 a congregation of adherents to the Free Church was established within Strathmiglo, which was later to become known as Strathmiglo South in 1876, after the union of the Reformed Presbyterian Church with the Free Church, as the RP church in Strathmiglo took the name of Strathmiglo North. The charge at Strathmiglo South was vacant after 1889, an ordained preacher serving the congregation. The two Free Church congregations were united in 1899 as Strathmiglo Free Church, and following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the congregation became the United Free Church of Strathmiglo. In 1912 the charge was transferred by the General Assembly from the Presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross to the Presbytery of Cupar and at the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, the congregation was named Strathmiglo West. In 1933 Strathmiglo West church joined with the Parish Church congregation of Strathmiglo St Martin's. The two charges united under the name of Strathmiglo, and after the union, the former West church was sold. Further union later followed in 1981 with Edenshead to form the congregation of Edenshead and Strathmiglo. Strathmiglo and Edenshead Church presently sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.

The congregation of Edenshead originated in 1825 when the district was chosen to be the seat of a new United Secession church, and the first minister of the charge, Robert Redpath, was ordained in 1828. In 1847, the United Secession Church united with the Relief Church to form the United Presbyterian Church, and Edenshead was therefore a congregation within that Church. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the congregation became Edenshead United Free Church and in 1912, Edenshead, which originally sat within the Presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross, was transferred to the Presbytery of Cupar. In 1981, following the 1929 union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Edenshead was joined with the parish church of Strathmiglo, under the name of Edenshead and Strathmiglo. The united congregation presently sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.

Strathmiglo Reformed Presbyterian Church was formed in 1824 on a petition to Edinburgh Presbytery. The church dated from 1828 (replaced on a more convenient site, 1852) and the first minister was appointed in the following year. At the union of 1876 it passed to the Free Church as Strathmiglo North, which united with Strathmiglo South in 1899. The Free Church charge was in the presbytery of Kinross and the synod of Fife.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)