Strathmiglo

Description of the parish in 1862

Map showing the location of the parish

"Strathmiglo parish, containing the villages of Strathmiglo and Edenshead (or Gateside), is bounded by Auchtermuchty, Falkland, Arngask, Abernethy and Kinross-shire. It measures 7.5 miles by 4.5 miles. The River Eden divides the parish into 2 and drives 4 corn, 1 flour and 1 farina mill. The village of Strathmiglo was a Burgh of Barony but that status is now no more. The town house and a fine green remain. There are a parish church, a Free Church and a Reformed Presbyterian Church in the village of Strathmiglo, and a UP Church at Gateside. The inhabitants of the country districts are mostly employed in agriculture, but the villagers weave diapers and damask. Several manufacturers and agents reside in Strathmiglo and employ most of the hands. There are also a power-loom factory and bleachfield in Strathmiglo, at which a considerable number, mostly females, are employed." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

Edenshead
Gateside
Strathmiglo

Places in Strathmiglo parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books

Cemeteries

Strathmiglo Churchyard / Cemetery & extension (grid ref. NO 216102, GPS: 56.277969, -3.266746 Google map):

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 457

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in  LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Strathmiglo 1042704 1042272 103832 103995 203531 208768
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the Parish Church, there was a United Secession Church (later United Presbyterian) at Edenshead (now Gateside); also a Free Church at Strathmiglo.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1843) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church, the United Presbyterian Church at Edenshead, and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 457

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Strathmiglo OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
457/1 1719-1819 1719-1819 1817-1819
457/2   1702-1743 1714-1743
457/3   1748-1819 1742-1819
457/4 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  Prior to 1747, and again 1756 - 1800, each entry consists of a date and three words, viz. name and surname of father, and baptismal name of child. Mothers' names added after 1800.
M.  blank June 1753 - Feb. 1817, but there are entries of Contract Money 1702 - 1743, and 1748 - 1819, mixed up with Mortcloth Dues, etc.
D.  Only Mortcloth Dues prior to 1817. Burials after Jan. 1817.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040182 Items 1-2 Session book (includes Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues) 1810-1819; Baptisms 1819-1854; Marriages, burials 1820-1854
1040190 Items 2-4 Baptisms 1719-1819; Marriages 1719-1753, 1817- 1820; Burials 1817-1820; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations (some years missing) and Mortcloth dues (burial records) after 1714) 1700-1810
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (457/2 & 457/3). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR433) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for the Free Church (CH3/541) and the United Secession Church are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library. Details of church records here.

The Strathmiglo page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Strathmiglo 457 1855 1901
Strathmiglo 457a 1902 1967
Auchtermuchty 406 1968 1971
Auchtermuchty 418 1972 2002
Fife 418 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Strathmiglo church Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5616'42"N
NO 216104 56.279564
-3.267809
KY14 7QD Lon. 316'4"W

Surrounding parishes: Falkland, Auchtermuchty, Collessie, Kettle, Abernethy (Perthshire), Arngask, Orwell (Kinross-shire), Portmoak (Kinross-shire).

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Strathmiglo parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, the following subjects, which were always in the County of Fife,   were transferred from the parish of Abernethy to the parish of Strathmiglo: Nochnarrie, Pitlour and part of Pitlour Farm.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Military History

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Return to top of page

Obituaries

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have recently re-published it in their Publications Series, 30.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 1695
1801 1629
1851 2509
1901 1618  * boundary changed
1951 1558

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Strathmiglo may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20), the Dunkeld Commissariot (CC7) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). 

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Dunkeld Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Strathmiglo Gateside 107 74
Strathmiglo 354 195

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page