Tulliallan

Description of the parish in 1856

Map showing the location of the parish

"The parish contains the post-town of Kincardine and the village of Longannat. It is bounded by the parishes of Culross and Clackmannan. It measures about 2.75 miles north to south by 2.5 miles east to west. A considerable extent of valuable land has been reclaimed from the sweep of the tide by two extensive embankments. Sandstone of excellent quality, coal and ironstone abound. Excellent public communication by railway and river steamer are enjoyed at Kincardine. In addition to the parish church, there is a Free Church and a United Presbyterian church built in 1819. " edited from Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland published 1856.

Towns and Villages

Kincardine
Longannet

Places in Tulliallan parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

Perth & Kinross Council Archives and Library, A K Bell Library, Perth. Tel. (01738) 477012, email: archives@pkc.gov.uk, has material relating to Culross and Tulliallan when they were part of Perthshire (before 1891).

Fife Council Archive Centre, Carleton House, Balgonie Road, Markinch, Fife KY6 7AQ.   Tel: (01592) 583352. email: Andrew.Dowsey@fife.gov.uk, has more recent material since their transfer to Fife in 1891.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Cemeteries

There are 3 cemeteries in Tulliallan parish:

1. Tulliallan Old Cemetery, Woodlea, Kincardine (grid ref. NS 934881, GPS: 56.073801 -3.714108):

2. Tulliallan Mausoleum, on the site of the pre-reformation church at Overton (grid ref. NS 940895, GPS: 56.086507 -3.705029):

3. Tulliallan Cemetery, Toll Road, Kincardine (grid ref. NS 938874, GPS: 56.067604 -3.707407):

Monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1891 censuses: 397
District reference number for 1901 census: 458b

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in  LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Tulliallan 1042698 1042251 103896 104079 203515 208745
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was a burgher (United Presbyterian) church at Kincardine and a Free Church.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1842) gives this information:

The great majority of the population belongs to the Established Church, and their number has been lately increased by the union of the Old Light Seceders with the church. There are no Episcopal or Roman Catholic families in the parish.

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 397

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Tulliallan OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
397/1 1673-1819    
397/2   1673-1819 1680-1781
397/3 1820-1854 1820-1854 1824-1848
Register of Neglected Entries      
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  Duplicate of record March 1692 - Nov. 1702.
M.  Duplicate of record April 1692 - July 1698.
D.  Mortcloth Dues till 1740. Blank Nov. 1740 - Jan. 1747, after which Deaths, with specification of disease, and frequently age of deceased.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040141 Item 5 Baptisms 1673-1777; Mortcloth dues (burial records) 1698
1040193 Items 1-3 Baptisms 1777-1854; Marriages 1673-1854; Burials (part Mortcloth dues) 1680-1781, 1807, 1820- 1853
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (397/2). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR314) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for the Burgher Church and the Free Church are held at the National Archives of Scotland.

Details of church records here.

The Tulliallan page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Tulliallan 397 1855 1892
Tulliallan 458b 1893 1967
Culross 418 1968 1971
Culross 435 1972 1993
West Fife 435 1994 2002
Fife 435 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

A few records of the baronies of Kincardine and Tulliallan are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details here.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Kincardine town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 564'7"N
NS 932875 56.068368
-3.717079
FK10 4NH Lon. 34'3"W

Surrounding parishes: Culross, Clackmannan (in Clackmannanshire), Airth (in Stirlingshire, via ferry acrosss the River Forth).

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Tulliallan parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, the whole parish of Tulliallan was transferred from the county of Perth to the county of Fife.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

History

The Kincardine-on-Forth Local History Group have a good selection of pages about the History of Tulliallan and Kincardine.

Land & Property

Valuation Rolls are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. From 1855-1891 they are in Perthshire (ref. VR113); from 1892-1975 they are in Fife (ref. VR101).

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:
Return to top of page

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project. War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

The parishes of Abernethy, Arngask, Culross and Tulliallan parishes will be included in the Perthshire Milita collection, 1680-1891, located at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth.

Return to top of page

Occupations

A few records of the Kincardine and Tulliallan Sailors fund are held by the National Archives of Scotland. Details of records here.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 1321
1801 2800
1851 3043
1901 1862
1951 2119

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Tulliallan may be found in either the Dunblane Commissariot (CC6) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business may have been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Perth (SC49), the Sheriff Court at Dunblane (SC44), or the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Dunblane Commissary Court, Dunblane Sheriff Court, Perth Sheriff Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Tulliallan Keith 341 250
Tulliallan 204 90

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

Hearth Tax (1692-1695) and some 18th century assessed tax records are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. The hearth tax return has been reprinted in Perthshire Hearth Tax 1691-1692 published by the Scottish Genealogy Society.

The hearth tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Voting Registers

The Kincardine-on-Forth Local History Group have provided a list of parliamentary voters for the parish of Tulliallan 1832-1850.

Return to top of page