Abernethy Parish Records


Church History

The History of Abernethy as an ecclesiastical site dates back as far as early Pictish times when it was the seat of a Celtic Abbey, which in 1273 was converted into an Augustinian Priory. Abernethy church, which was dedicated to St Bride and formerly belonged to the Abbey of Arbroath, was granted a collegiate endowment by George, Earl of Angus in 1460. In 1951, following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, the Parish Church of Abernethy was united with the former United Free Church congregation of Abernethy South. After the local union the former South Church was leased to a local business and the old parish church remained in use as the place of worship. In 1955 Abernethy was linked with Dron however this arrangement was terminated in 1970 in favour of a union with Dron under the name of Abernethy and Dron. The united session later formed a link with Arngask in 1979. The kirk session sits within the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Perth.
Abernethy Free Church in the Presbytery of Perth, was formed at the Disruption in 1843. The church was built in 1843 and the manse in 1851. Following the union of the Free Church and the United Free Church in 1900, the congregation became Abernethy North United Free Church. In 1905 Abernethy North was united with Abernethy South United Free Church as Abernethy United Free Church. In 1929 the United Free Church joined with the Church of Scotland and the church became Abernethy South Church of Scotland. In 1951 the charge was united with Abernethy North Church of Scotland to form Abernethy Church of Scotland. The North buildings were retained. From 1955 to 1970 Abernethy was linked with Dron Church. In 1970 the two congregations were united under the name of Abernethy and Dron Church of Scotland. In 1979 the church was linked with Arngask Church.
Abernethy General Associate (Antiburgher) congregation was formed in 1736. In 1820 the United Secession Church was formed by the union of the Associate (Burgher) and General Associate (Antiburgher) Synods. In 1847 the United Secession Church merged with the Relief Church to form the United Presbyterian Church. Following the union in 1900 of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church, the congregation became Abernethy South United Free Church. In 1905 Abernethy South was united with Abernethy North United Free Church as Abernethy United Free Church. In 1929 the United Free Church joined with the Church of Scotland and the church became Abernethy South Church of Scotland. In 1951 the charge was united with Abernethy North Church of Scotland to form Abernethy Church of Scotland. The North buildings were retained. From 1955 to 1970 Abernethy was linked with Dron Church. In 1970 the two congregations were united under the name of Aberthey and Dron Church of Scotland. In 1979 the church was linked with Arngask Church.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)