Glenrothes was designated one of Scotland's New Towns in 1948. It is built on land which was previously in Kinglassie, Leslie and Markinch parishes.
|Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.|
Records of the former Glenrothes Development Corporation are held by Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy. See Town Records below.
The National Collection of Aerial Photography website has photographs of Glenrothes taken in the 1940s.
|Registration district||number||start date||end date|
Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.
|Glenrothes town centre||Ordnance Survey Grid Reference||GPS||Post code||Lat. 56°11'44"N|
|KY7 5LN||Lon. 3°10'17"W|
At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:
Glenrothes Development Corporation
Records include minute books and reports, 1948-1995; housing records, 1948-1995; Legal Department records including papers relating to public local enquiry to hear objections to the creation of the new town, 1948; Board of Trade investigation into the Cadco scandal, 1963-1965; Marketing Department records including publications, promotional films and videos, 1957-1974; photographs of Glenrothes buildings, events, and people, 1948-1995; minutes of Glenrothes District Council, 1961-1974.