ABERNETHY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"ABERNETHY, a parish partly in the county of Elgin, partly in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Grantown. It formed originally the two parishes of Abernethy and Kincardine. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Nethy and Spey, and is bounded on the south by the Cairngorm, or Blue Mountain, one of the loftiest peaks of the Grampians, which separates it from Braemar. This hill rises to an elevation of 4,050 feet. Below this, about a mile from its base, lies Loch Aven, which is the source of the river Aven. At one end of thus loch is a large natural cave called Chlachdhian, or the Sheltering Stone. The Cairngorm yellow or brown rock crystals are found here. The parish is of considerable extent, being 15 miles in length and 12 miles in breadth. It contains several lakes, Morloch, Loch Aven, Green Loch, and others. There are fine hilly sheep-walks, and extensive woods of fir, which is of excellent quality. Granite and freestone are quarried here. Abernethy is the seat of a presbytery. The living, value 234 is in the patronage of the Earl of Seafield, who is chief heritor. Castle Roy, formerly the residence of Bailie Roy, is at a short distance from the church. Chief Justice Grant, and John Stuart, a Gaelic poet of the 17th century, were natives of this parish."

"KINDARDINE, an ancient parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, now united to Abernethy."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)