"ARDERSIER, (or Ardrosser), a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is situated on the coast of the Moray Frith, and contains Fort George and the village of Campbelltown. It was formerly the possession of the Bishop of Ross and the Knights Hospitallers. The living, value £158, is in the presbytery of Nairn, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor, heritor. The parish church was built in 1802. There is also a Free church, and a United Presbyterian chapel at Campbelltown. The soil is well cultivated, except near the coast, and the roads are exceedingly good, great improvements having been made of late years. There is an obelisk, 6 feet high, called the Kebbock Stone, on a heath in this parish, of which there are various accounts. It may mark the grave of a chief, the scene of a victory, or nothing more poetical than the boundary of a county. Fort George stands at the extremity of the peninsula. See Fort GEORGE."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ardersier from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.