BOLESKINE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BOLESKINE, (and Abertarff) a united parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 12 miles to the S. of Inverness. It is situated in a district partly mountainous and partly flat, on both the east and west sides of Loch Ness, and is watered by the rivers Oich, Tarff, and Foyers. There are also many small lochs. The parish includes Fort Augustus, and is crossed by the military road from Inverness. Good granite and limestone are obtained in the hills. In this parish is the fine waterfall of Foyers. The living, of the value of £238, is in the presbytery of Abertarff, and in the patronage of Fraser of Lovat. Fort Augustus is the seat of a mission, worth £80 a year. There is also a Free church, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The parish is about 20 miles long and 10 broad."
"BALFRISHEL, a village in the parish of Boleskine, in the county of Inverness, 9 miles to the N. of Fort Augustus."
"FORT AUGUSTUS, a village and fortress in the parish of Boleskine, in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 28 miles to the S.W. of Inverness, and 131 miles from Edinburgh. The fort is one of three erected by the English government in the Highlands. A hamlet has existed here from a remote antiquity. It was the place of interment for the powerful family of Cumin, and from that circumstance bore the name Kilcummin, The situation of the place is very striking. It is on a fair plain among the hills, at the head of Loch Ness, and on the bank of the Caledonian canal. The fort was erected in 1729. It was captured and demolished during the insurrection of 1745. After the battle of Culloden, the Duke of Cumberland made it his head-quarters. It is no longer needed as a fortress, and has only a nominal garrison."
"ABERTARFF, a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, now united with Boleskine. It is situated near Fort Augustus, at the mouth of the river Tarff, which here falls into Loch Ness. It is the seat of a presbytery."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]