"CROMDALE, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Elgin and Inverness, Scotland. It is bounded by Knockando on the N., by Inveraven and Kirkmichael on the E., by Abernethy on the S., and by Duthil on the W. It is intersected throughout its whole length by the Spey, and is 17 miles long by 10 broad in some places. The northern part is hilly, and covered with forest, while a large part of the southern portion, called Cromdale Hill, is barren and covered with heath. The low lands bordering on the Spey are fertile. The Earl of Seafield is the sole proprietor, and his seat, called Castle Grant, is a magnificent old building, situated in a forest 2 miles N. of the Spey. The principal ruins are those of Muckerach Castle, formerly belonging to the Grants of Rothiemurchus, and the extensive remains of a stronghold at the lake of Lochindorb. This parish is in the presbytery of Abernethy, and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the Earl of Seafield. The stipend of the minister is £249. The parish church is situated to the S. of the Spey, but there is a Mission church, and a Baptist chapel at Grantown, on the N. of the river. There is also a Free church in the parish."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Cromdale from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Cromdale.