CROMDALE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CROMDALE, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Elgin and Inverness, Scotland. It is bounded by Knockando on the N., by Inveraven and Kirkmichael on the E., by Abernethy on the S., and by Duthil on the W. It is intersected throughout its whole length by the Spey, and is 17 miles long by 10 broad in some places. The northern part is hilly, and covered with forest, while a large part of the southern portion, called Cromdale Hill, is barren and covered with heath. The low lands bordering on the Spey are fertile. The Earl of Seafield is the sole proprietor, and his seat, called Castle Grant, is a magnificent old building, situated in a forest 2 miles N. of the Spey. The principal ruins are those of Muckerach Castle, formerly belonging to the Grants of Rothiemurchus, and the extensive remains of a stronghold at the lake of Lochindorb. This parish is in the presbytery of Abernethy, and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the Earl of Seafield. The stipend of the minister is £249. The parish church is situated to the S. of the Spey, but there is a Mission church, and a Baptist chapel at Grantown, on the N. of the river. There is also a Free church in the parish."
"GRANTOWN, a post and market town in the parish of Cromdale, county Inverness, Scotland, 30½ miles S.E. of Fort George, 34 S.S.W. of Elgin, 22 8 of Forres, and 103 from Edinburgh. It is a station on the Lossiemouth branch of the Morayshire railway. It is situated on the left bank of the river Spey, and was founded by Sir James Grant, Bart., in 1776, with a view to improving the surrounding tract of country. It is most picturesquely situated, and has a neat and cheerful appearance. It contains an orphan asylum, the parish church of Cromdale, Royal Bounty church, Free church, and meeting-house for Baptists, two branch banks, and several assurance agencies, besides the townhouse and prison. Small-debt courts sit in January, May, June, and October. A market for corn is held once a fortnight after November. Fairs are held in April, May, June, July, August, September, and November. Public carriages run to and fro from it to Elgin, Fochabers, and Carr Bridge; and about 1½ mile distant stands Castle Grant, a magnificently wooded ancient residence and park belonging to the Earl of Seafield."
"ADVIE, a parish now united with Cromdale, in the counties of Inverness and Elgin, in Scotland, 8 miles N.E. of Grantoun, containing the ancient baronies of Advie and Tulchen on the Spey, which anciently belonged to the Earls of Fife, from whom they passed to the Ballendalloch family in the 15th century, and were lately purchased by Brigadier Alexander Grant."
"INVERALLEN, an ancient parish, now joined to Cromdale, counties Inverness and Elgin, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]