"CROW, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland. It comprises the ancient parishes of Croy and Dalcross, which were united in the end of the 15th century. It is 21 miles in length, with a breadth in some parts of 9 miles. That part of the parish included in Strath Nairn, and through which the Nairn flows, is of great beauty: the rest, including Culloden Moor, is comparatively bleak and naked. The principal seats are those of Kilravock, Holme, Cantray, and Leys Castle. Dalcross Castle, now in ruins, was built in 1621 by Lord Lovat, and commands a very extensive view, stretching from the hill of Mealfourvounie to the Ord of Caithness. In a wild district called Clava, S. of the parish church, there are many cairns and druidical circles, of which last there is a very perfect example near Leys Castle. The parish is in the presbytery of Nairn and synod of Moray; patrons, the Earl of Cawdor, and Rose of Kilravock. The stipend of the minister is £239. There is also a Free Church station."
"DALCROSS, (or Dalus), a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Inverness. It is joined to Croy. Dalcross Castle is an ancient tower of the clan Chattan, near Culloden Alcor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]