"DORES, a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It contains a village of its own name, and is bounded on the W. by Loch Ness, and on the other sides by the pars: of Inverness, Daviot, and Boleskine. It extends in length about 20 miles along the E. side of Loch Ness, with a breadth of 3 or 4 miles. The soil is light, and but little of it is arable, the greater part, consisting of the mountain slopes bordering on the loch, being fit only for sheep pasture. The principal landowners are Lords Lovat and Saltoun. The mansions are Aldourie, Eregie, and Gortleg. The village of Dores is 8 miles S. of Inverness, on the road from that town to Fort Augustus. This parish is in the presbytery of Inverness and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor. The minister has a stipend of £141. There is also a preaching station at Forness, in Stratherrick, and there is a Free church for Dores and Bona. Sir James Macintosh was a native of this parish. There are the remains of a fort at Castell Dunriachan, and of Drumashi cairn, where Ashi, the Norseman, was killed by Fingal."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Dores from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Dores.