"DUTHEL, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Elgin and Inverness, Scotland, 21 miles S. of Nairn. It is situated on the rivers Dulnan and Spey, and includes Rothiemurchus, near Cairngorm. The parish is in the presbytery of Abernethy, and Synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £230, in the patronage of the Earl of Seafield, the sole landowner. The village contains the parish church, a Free church, and schools. The military road from Dalnacardoch to Inverness passes through the parish, which is mountainous, and comprises much grand scenery and woods replete with game. In the vicinity is the ruin of Muckerath."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Duthel from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Duthel.