DUTHEL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DUTHEL, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Elgin and Inverness, Scotland, 21 miles S. of Nairn. It is situated on the rivers Dulnan and Spey, and includes Rothiemurchus, near Cairngorm. The parish is in the presbytery of Abernethy, and Synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £230, in the patronage of the Earl of Seafield, the sole landowner. The village contains the parish church, a Free church, and schools. The military road from Dalnacardoch to Inverness passes through the parish, which is mountainous, and comprises much grand scenery and woods replete with game. In the vicinity is the ruin of Muckerath."
"ROTHIEMURCHUS, formerly a separate parish, but now a quoad sacra parish, united to the parish of Duthel, county Inverness, Scotland. It extends about 10 miles in length, with a breadth of about 7 miles, and is bounded by the counties of Moray and Aberdeen, and by the parishes of Kincardine and Alvie. The surface is moderately even, and is watered by Loch-an-Eilan and other small lakes. In the former is an island on which stands an ancient castle, once the stronghold of the Wolf of Badenoch, and for many generations the principal seat of the family of Shaw. The woods, which once extended over an area of 16 miles, were felled during the great French war, but are now beginning to revive. The parish is traversed by the road from Rothes to Kingussie. The village is situated about 3 miles S.E. of Aviemore, and 12 from Kingussie. It stands on the southern bank of the river Spey, under Cairngorm. This parish is in the presbytery of Abernethy, and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £120. There is an endowed school. Limestone is extensively quarried, and is much used for manure."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003