"INVERNESS, a parish in the N.E. district of the county Inverness, Scotland, containing the county town of Inverness (as above) and several villages. It has a length of 14 miles, and its breadth averages about 2½ miles. It is environed by the firths of Moray and Beauly, by Petty, Daviot, Loch Ness, Urquhart, and Kirkhall. The parish lies nearly wholly within the valley of the Great Glen of Scotland. The hill of Tomnahurich near the town is an attractive feature. The river Ness traverses part of the parish, and receives the waters of several minor streams. This parish gives name to a presbytery in the synod of Moray. Here are three parish churches. The High church and the Gaelic church are in the patronage of the crown and Professor Scott. The ministers have a stipend of £277 each. The West church is in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £200. The other places of worship are, three Free churches, two United Presbyterian churches, besides Episcopalian, Methodist, Independent, and Roman Catholic chapels. Besides numerous private establishments, there are the Royal Academy, Bell's schools, the Roman Catholic and Free Church schools, with some others. The principal seats are, Culloden House, Muirtown House, Darochville, Dochfour, and Raigmore houses. There are Druidical remains and several cairns; two of the latter are insulated excepting at low water. On the N.E. of the parish is the famous field of Culloden."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Inverness from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Inverness.