"KILMALLIE, a parish in the counties Argyle and Inverness, Scotland, containing the post town of Fort-William. It is 60 miles long by 10 broad, and is bounded by county Perth, and the parishes of Appin, Morven, Ardnamurchan, Glenelg, and Kilmanivaig. Its shores are indented by the sea-lochs of Linnhe, Leven, and Eil. The surface, for the most part, consists of mountain and heath. There are extensive grazing lands, and but a very small proportion of arable. The river Nevis and the lochs Archaig and Lochy are the principal waters. Ben Nevis, which is within the limits of this parish, attains an altitude of 4,370 feet. In the village is a monument to the memory of Colonel J. Cameron, who fell at Quatre Bras while leading on the 92nd Highlanders. The rock formations are slate, marble, red granite, and limestone. Salmon and herrings are taken in plenty on the coast, and the red deer, fox, eagle, &c., frequent the mountains. Lead ore is found in some of the hills. This parish is in the presbytery of Abertarf and synod of Glenelg. The minister has a stipend of £288. The church was built at Corpach in 1783; besides which, there are in the parish the following places of worship-two government and two missionary churches, three Free churches, two Episcopalian, and one Roman Catholic chapel. There are 15 schools, 12 of which belong to the Established Church. Ardgour and Achnacarry House, the ancient seat of the Camerons of Lochiel, are the principal residences. Cameron of Lochiel, Sir Duncan Cameron, and MacLean of Ardgour are the chief landowners. On the summit of a rock overlooking the Lochy are the ruins of a castle, with traces of fortifications in different parts of the parish. Several large caves are met with; one of these, on the Nevis, is known as "Samuel's Cave," and served as a hiding-place for the vanquished followers of Prince Charles during the rebellion of 1746."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)