"KILMONIVAIG, (or Kilmanwaig), a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It contains the post-office station of Invergarry, and is 9 miles N.E. of Fort William, its post town. It contains 15 miles of the Great Glen of Scotland, along Loch Lochy. Its length from S. to N. is about 60 miles, and its greatest breadth 20 miles. It comprises the district of Glengarry and part of the district of Loch Aber. It is in the presbytery of Abertarff and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £289. The parish church is a modern structure, situated at the mouth of Glenspear. There is likewise a mission church of the Royal Bounty, two Free Church preaching stations, and a Roman Catholic place of worship. There are several schools. This lace was termed, in 1745, the "cradle of the rebellion,' from its having taken so prominent a part in the events of that period. Salmon fishing is carried on here, and communication is maintained by means of the Great Glen road and the Caledonian canal."
"GLENROY, a wild highland glen in the parish of Kilmonivaig, in Lochabar, county Inverness, Scotland. It is about 14 miles in length, running in a similar direction with the great glen of Scotland, and is remarkable for its parallel roads, which extend in a series of three terraces along either side of the valley. The river Roy courses through the entire length of the glen, which includes the villages of Bahantin Upper and Lower, Bahinnie, and Creanachan."
"ELAMUND, a parish joined to Kilmonivaig, county Inverness, Scotland."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003