KILMORACK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILMORACK, a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It is situated on the river Beauly, which runs by Kilmorack Falls, Eilan Aigash, and Dream. It comprehends the village and valley of Beauly, and possesses the Falls of Kilmorack. The parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The minister's stipend amounts to £244. There are a mission church of the Royal Bounty, a Free church, two Roman Catholic places of worship, also parochial and other schools. In the neighbourhood are several hill forts, Druidical stones, and the remains of Beauly Priory. Old Red sandstone abounds, and formerly a black lead mine was worked. The principal' cattle market for the north of Scotland is held on the moor of Ord in this parish. Lord Lovat and Chisholm of Chisholm are the principal landowners."
"AIGAS, (or Eilean-aiga), a beautiful island in the parish of Kilmorack, in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 6 miles S.W. of the town of Beanly, and about 3 from the celebrated falls of Kilmorack. It is only about a mile and a half in circumference, surrounded by the waters of the Beanly, which here divides into two branches, but is richly covered in wood, and is much frequented by roes, and occasionally by red deer. It was to this island retreat that Lord Lovat retired in 1697 with the dowager Lady Lovat, to escape the fiery indignation which had gone forth against him; and here reside at present, in Lord Lovat's castle, the only descendants of Prince Charles Edward Stuart."
"BEAULY, a village in the parish of Kilmorack, in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 8 miles to the W. of Inverness. It is seated on the north side of the river and loch bearing the same name. The river is crossed by a good bridge of five arches, which connects the village with Kirkhill. Beauty Loch is an inlet of the Moray Frith. The chief business of the place is ship-building and the coasting trade. There is a salmon-fishery on the river. A priory was founded here in the 13th century by the Lovats, which was occupied by French monks. The ruins stand near the bridge. The site is now a burial-place. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel, and a branch of the North of Scotland Bank."
"MUIR OF ORD, a hamlet in the parish of Kilmorack, county Inverness, Scotland, 3 miles N. by W. of Beauly. It is a station on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction railway. Markets for the sale of cattle are frequently held here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]