"KILMORACK, a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It is situated on the river Beauly, which runs by Kilmorack Falls, Eilan Aigash, and Dream. It comprehends the village and valley of Beauly, and possesses the Falls of Kilmorack. The parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The minister's stipend amounts to £244. There are a mission church of the Royal Bounty, a Free church, two Roman Catholic places of worship, also parochial and other schools. In the neighbourhood are several hill forts, Druidical stones, and the remains of Beauly Priory. Old Red sandstone abounds, and formerly a black lead mine was worked. The principal' cattle market for the north of Scotland is held on the moor of Ord in this parish. Lord Lovat and Chisholm of Chisholm are the principal landowners."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kilmorack from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.