KILMUIR - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILMUIR, a parish in North Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, 25 miles N.W. of Broadford. It is divided into three districts viz: Kilmuir proper, Kilmaluag, and Steinscholl. It comprehends the northern extremity of the Isle of Skye, and also the islets of Altavaig, Tulm, Jasgair, Fladda, Trodda, and Fladdachuain. It has a sea-line of about 30 miles, and is bounded on the S. by the parish of Snizort, and on the other sides by the sea. The parish is in the presbytery of Skye, and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend amounts to £158, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church, serving only for the districts of Kilmuir and Kilmaluag, is a commodious building. In the churchyard is the grave of Flora Macdonald, the guide of Prince Charles Edward. In 1847 the Court of Tiends erected the parish of Kilmartin, together with a part of Snizort, into the quoad sacra parish of Steinscholl, which has a government church. At the last-named place and Kilmuir the Free Church has preaching stations. There are several schools. Kilmuir Plain is the largest portion of cultivated land in the island. Not far from the church is a chalybeate spring, and in this parish is Loch Sianta or Shiant, "the sacred lake," celebrated for the cure of various ailments. A range of mountains in this parish attains the maximum elevation of 1,200 feet. In the midst of these mountains, and at the height of 1,000 feet above sea-level, is a secluded spot known as Quiraing, only accessible from three or four places. This valley is curiously concealed among the hills, and is large enough to pasture 4,000 head of cattle. It appears to have been used as a hiding-place by the former inhabitants of this locality, when obliged to leave their homes by reason of invasion. The coastline, which is broken by many promontories and cliffs, is very beautiful. In the neighbourhood are the remains of several ancient forts and chapels."
"DUNVEGAN, a village in the parish of Kilmuir, in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It is situated on Loch Follart, near Dunvegan. Here is Dunvegan Castle, the seat of the Macleods, which is supposed to be one of the oldest fortresses in Scotland, having been begun in the 10th century. Many curious relics of ancient times are preserved in the castle, including the famous horn of Rorie More, the oaken cup of Nial Glundubh, and the fairy flag."
"LOCH MIAGHAILT, a small lake in the parish of Kilmuir, in the island of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland. It discharges its waters through a subterranean passage into the sea."
"STEINSCHOLL, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Kilmuir and Snizort, county Inverness, Scotland. It is situated in Skye Island, near the village of Stein. The living is in the presbytery of Skye, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of about £120. There is also a Free church."
"TRODDA, an island in the parish of Kilmuir, Isle of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, 2 miles N. of Aird Point."
"TULM, an island in the parish of Kilmuir, district of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, near Trottenish Point, on the N.W. coast of Skye."
"ULLINISH, an island in the parish of Kilmuir, district of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland. It is situated in Loch Bracadale, and has the ruins of a place of refuge erected by Hugh Macdonald in the reign of James VI."
"WESTER KESSOCK, a village and ferry station in the parish of Kilmuir, county Inverness, Scotland, on Lough Beauly."
"KILLICHRIST, an ancient parish now joined to Kilmuir, county Inverness, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]