"KILMUIR, a parish in North Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, 25 miles N.W. of Broadford. It is divided into three districts viz: Kilmuir proper, Kilmaluag, and Steinscholl. It comprehends the northern extremity of the Isle of Skye, and also the islets of Altavaig, Tulm, Jasgair, Fladda, Trodda, and Fladdachuain. It has a sea-line of about 30 miles, and is bounded on the S. by the parish of Snizort, and on the other sides by the sea. The parish is in the presbytery of Skye, and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend amounts to £158, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church, serving only for the districts of Kilmuir and Kilmaluag, is a commodious building. In the churchyard is the grave of Flora Macdonald, the guide of Prince Charles Edward. In 1847 the Court of Tiends erected the parish of Kilmartin, together with a part of Snizort, into the quoad sacra parish of Steinscholl, which has a government church. At the last-named place and Kilmuir the Free Church has preaching stations. There are several schools. Kilmuir Plain is the largest portion of cultivated land in the island. Not far from the church is a chalybeate spring, and in this parish is Loch Sianta or Shiant, "the sacred lake," celebrated for the cure of various ailments. A range of mountains in this parish attains the maximum elevation of 1,200 feet. In the midst of these mountains, and at the height of 1,000 feet above sea-level, is a secluded spot known as Quiraing, only accessible from three or four places. This valley is curiously concealed among the hills, and is large enough to pasture 4,000 head of cattle. It appears to have been used as a hiding-place by the former inhabitants of this locality, when obliged to leave their homes by reason of invasion. The coastline, which is broken by many promontories and cliffs, is very beautiful. In the neighbourhood are the remains of several ancient forts and chapels."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kilmuir from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Kilmuir.