"KINGUSSIE, (and Insh) an united parish in the district of Badenoch, county Inverness, Scotland. It extends 17 miles from E. to W. and 20 from N. to S., mind is bounded by the parishes of Moy, Laggan, Alvie, and Dalrossie, and on the S. by county Perth. Its surface is mountainous and heathy, and it is more elevated than any other parish in Scotland, being situated nearly in the centre of the Highlands. It is intersected by the river Spey, the bed of which is 850 feet above sea-level. The other rivulets are the Tromie, Gynag, Calder, and Truim. The Highland road between Inverness and Perth traverses the parish. It is in the presbytery of Abernethy and synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £270. There area Government church and a Free church at Inch. There are several schools in the neighbourhood. This locality, abounding in game of all kinds, is a favourite spot with sportsmen. Opposite the village of Kingussie, and on the S. side of the river, stand the ruins of Ruthven Castle, which was used as a barrack in the reign of George II., and was burnt down in 1745; it was a place of great antiquity, and was the ancient seat of the Lords of Badenoch. James M'Pherson, the composer and translator of Ossian's poems, was a native of this place. There are several lochs in the district, the principal being lochs Ericht and Inch. It contains the villages of Kingussie, Newtownmore, and Ralia. Kingussie is 44 miles S. from Inverness and 73 N. from Perth on the great road between the two towns. It is a station on the Inverness and Perth and Inverness and Aberdeen Junction railway. Though a village it is a place of local importance, being the chief place in the Badenoch district. It possesses some substantial buildings. The town contains a small gaol and sessions house, in which the justices of the peace for the district hold their courts monthly, and a sheriff's small-debt court is held on the first Tuesdays in January, May, and September. The British Linen Company have a bank, and there is a savings-bank, also several insurance offices. The days for holding the fairs are for the most part regulated by the fairs of Beauley and Falkirk."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)