"KIRKHILL, a parish in the county Inverness, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Inverness, its post town. It comprehends the ancient parishes of Farnna and Wardlaw. It is about 8 miles long by 3 broad. Its surface consists of heathy sheepwalks, with a great extent of plantation. There are several high hills, and abundance of game. The parish is in the presbytery of Inverness, and synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £247. There is a Free church, with two schools. The chief seats are Newton, Fingask, Reelick, Auchnagairn, and Lentram. The greater part of the land is possessed by Lord Lovat, whose family have a mortuary chapel on the site of the ancient church of Wardlaw. Coals and lime are imported, and grain and timber exported, through Wester-Lovat and Fopachy, which are situated on the coast. Here are the remains of two Druid circles. On Blarnacuiflich Moor, where a battle was fought between two rival clans, are many tumuli."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)