LAGGAN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LAGGAN, a highland parish in the county Inverness, Scotland, 15 miles S.E. of Fort Augustus, and 11 from Kingussie. Its size is 22 miles by 22. The surface is mountainous, being broken by the spurs of three several ranges of hills: on its northern border are the Moadlia, or Monaghlea range, which attain a height of 3,000 feet; on fits southern are the Grampians; and on its western border are the mountains flanking Loch Laggan. The rivers Spay and Spean, which traverse the parish, are fed by numerous springs rising among the hills. In this parish are lochs Laggan and Ericht, the former 8 miles by 1 mile, and the latter 16 by 1. In the neighbourhood limestone and slate are found. The mountains consist for the most part of gneiss. The parish is in the presbytery of Abertarff and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish church, built in 1842, is a commodious structure. There are a Free church and a Roman Catholic chapel. The ruins of the old church, said to have been dedicated to St. Kenneth, are still visible. The chief seats are Ardverrikie, Cluny Castle, Glentrium House, and Glenshirra House. In this parish are the remains of a fortification, built on a rock 600 feet high. Mrs. Grant, who died in 1838, wrote her "Letters' from the Mountains," and other works, whilst residing at the manse, between 1779 and 1803."
"BEN ALDER, a lofty range of the central Grampians, on the S. border of the parish of Laggan, and county of Inverness, Scotland, between Lochs Laggan and Ericht. Here Prince Charles Stuart was concealed for some weeks before escaping to France."
"ERICHT LOCH, a loch partly in the parish of Fortingall, county Perth, and partly in the parish of Laggan, county Inverness, Scotland. It lies among the Grampians, at the foot of Ben Aulder. It is 15 miles long by 1 broad, and is in communication with loughs Lannoch and Lydoch. On the summit of a steep and almost inaccessible rock overlooking the lake are the remains of a stronghold of unknown history. A legend relates that this lake occupies the site of an ancient parish called Feadail. Its only approach is from Dalnacardoch, across a dreary waste of bog and moor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]