MOY AND DALAROSSIE
"MOY AND DALAROSSIE, an united parish in counties Inverness and Nairn, Scotland, 12 miles S.E. of Inverness. It is situated near Starsach-na-Gal, or "Gael's pass to the Moray lowlands," where in 1746 Donald Fraser Smith, with a handful of Highlanders, drove back the Earl of Loudoun, and frustrated his attempt to surprise Prince Charles Edward at Moy Hall. Tho united parish of Moy and Dalarossie consists almost wholly of two glens, that of the upper part of the river Findhorn, and that of Loch Moy, extending in length from N.E. to S.W. about 30 miles, with an average breadth of 5 miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Ardclach, Alvie, Calder, Dunlichity, and Daviot, and contains the post-office station of Moy. The glen of the Findhorn or Strathdearn is less than a mile across its lower grounds, being screened on either side by ranges of the Monadhleadh mountains, which are heathy and well wooded, abounding with red deer and other game. Near its southern end the glen runs into the close mountain vale of Loch Moy, with its lake about 1 mile long and half a mile broad, and surrounded by a hanging forest of birch and pine. The river Findhorn or Earn, which rises from several springs at the head of the glen, and the Funtack, which has its source near Loch Moy, receive in their course the tributary waters of many brooks which thread their way through the mountains by small lateral glens. The mountains are neither bold nor rugged in outline, and nowhere rise more than 2,600 feet above the sea. They consist chiefly of gneiss and granite, and were anciently covered with a continuous native forest, chiefly of birch, aspen, and mountain ash, but have been cleared in parts, and now comprise near 90,000 acres of either waste ground or bare sheep-walks, interspersed with recent plantations of larch and Scottish pine. Considerable progress has recently been made in agriculture, which was formerly very backward in these parts, and many acres of waste lands have been brought into cultivation within the last few years. The great Highland road from Inverness to Perth traverses about- 10 miles of the parish, and crosses the Findhorn by a modern bridge of wood and stone, built to replace the former one, which was swept away by the memorable flood of 1829. There are ten landholders, but only one resident, A. Macintosh, Esq., chief of the clan Chattan, whose family seat, Moy Hall, built in 1665, stands on an island in the lake, as also does the Macintosh pillar, 70 feet high. Here are still preserved the swords of James V. and Claverhouse, the former presented by Pope Leo X. The parish is in the presbytery of Inverness, and synod of Moray. The minister has a stipend of £236. There are two parish churches, belonging respectively to Moy and Dalarossie, formerly distinct parishes, in which divine service is performed on alternate Sundays; the former was built in 1765, and the latter in 1790. There are also a Free church at Moy, and two schools. Fairs are held at Freeburn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]