NORTH UIST - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NORTH UIST, a parish and island in county Inverness, Scotland. It comprises the quoad sacra parish of Trumisgary, the villages of Carinish and Lochmaddy, and the islets of Boreray, Orinsay, Balishear, Grimsay, Heisker, Illary, Kirkibbost, Morgay, Ronay, and Vallay. It extends in length about 17 miles from E. to W., with a breadth varying from 34 to 13¼ miles. The parish is bounded on the N.W. by the Atlantic Ocean, on the N.E. by the Sound of Harris, on the S.E. by the Little Minch channel, and on the S.W. by a narrow and shallow strait, which is fordable at a place called the N. strand. The surface is flat in the interior, comprising a large extent of rock, bog, and barren waste, the highest point being Ben Croaghan, in the W., which rises 1,500 feet above sea-level. On the E., at lochs Maddy and Enort, are excellent harbours. The prevailing rocks are gneiss and slate, and bog iron is found 15 miles W. of Skye. At Lochmaddy is a packet station, and had formerly a considerable trade-in kelp, &c. The parish is in the presbytery of Uist and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £158. The parish church was erected in 1764. At Trumisgarry are a Free church and a quoad sacra church with a parliamentary endowment. There are a parochial school, and several others."
"MORGAY, a small island in the parish of North Uist, in the Outer Hebrides, county Inverness, Scotland. It is inconsiderable, having but few inhabitants."
"ORINSAY, an islet in the parish of North Uist, Western Isles, coast of Scotland, 3 miles S. of Boveray Island."
"RONA, (or Ronay), an island in the parish of North Uist, Outer Hebrides, county Inverness, Scotland, 2½ miles N.E. of Benbecula. It extends 2 miles in length by about 1½ mile in breadth. Its surface is of an uneven character, rising to an altitude of about 600 feet above sea-level. The land was formerly of little value, but is now much improved, and is one of the best grazing-grounds in the parish of North Uist."
"TRUMISGARY, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of North Uist, Outer Hebrides, county Inverness, Scotland. It extends in length about 17 miles, with an extreme breadth of 12 miles. It belongs to Inverness, and is in the presbytery of Uist, synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £120. The parish church was erected in 1829, and is a government one. There is a Free church."
"VALLAY, an island in the parish of North Uist, county Inverness, Scotland. It extends in length about 2½ miles from E. to W., by a mean breadth of about 3 furlongs. A narrow sound, which becomes dry at low water, separates it from the north-western side of the island of North Uist."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]