"PETTY, (or Pettie), a parish in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland. It comprises a village of its own name, and the villages of Stuartown and Connage, and part of that of Campbelton. It extends in length about 9 miles from N.E. to S.W., with a varying breadth of between 2 to 3 miles. It is bounded by the Moray Frith, as also by the parishes of Inverness, Croy, and Ardersur. The surface is moderately even. A large portion of the land has been reclaimed, and is now in a state of cultivation. The soil is of a light nature, but fertile. The prevailing rock is the Old Red sandstone. The parish is traversed by the road from Inverness to Elgin, as also by the Inverness and Nairn railway, and is within easy access of the Culloden, Dalcross, and Fort-George stations. The village of Petty is about 7 miles N.E. of Inverness. It is situated on Loch Beauly, near Culloden Moor. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries. This parish is in the presbytery of Inverness and synod of Moray. The minister has a stipend of £246. The parish church was erected in 1839, on the site of one dedicated to St. Columba, and has tombs of the Mackintoshes, of whom was Sir James, the historian. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and two other schools. There are two moot hills, or Kistvaens, in this parish. Castle-Stuart, Gollanfield, and Flemington are the principal residences."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Petty from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Petty.