"PETTY, (or Pettie), a parish in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland. It comprises a village of its own name, and the villages of Stuartown and Connage, and part of that of Campbelton. It extends in length about 9 miles from N.E. to S.W., with a varying breadth of between 2 to 3 miles. It is bounded by the Moray Firth, as also by the parishes of Inverness, Croy, and Ardersur. The surface is moderately even. A large portion of the land has been reclaimed, and is now in a state of cultivation. The soil is of a light nature, but fertile. The prevailing rock is the Old Red sandstone. The parish is traversed by the road from Inverness to Elgin, as also by the Inverness and Nairn railway, and is within easy access of the Culloden, Dalcross, and Fort-George stations. The village of Petty is about 7 miles N.E. of Inverness. It is situated on Loch Beauly, near Culloden Moor. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries. This parish is in the presbytery of Inverness and synod of Moray. The minister has a stipend of £246. The parish church was erected in 1839, on the site of one dedicated to St. Columba, and has tombs of the Mackintoshes, of whom was Sir James, the historian. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and two other schools. There are two moot hills, or Kistvaens, in this parish. Castle-Stuart, Gollanfield, and Flemington are the principal residences."
"CAMPBELTON, (or Campbelltown), a village in the parishes of Ardersier and Petty, in the county of Inverness, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is seated on the coast of the Moray Firth, not far from Fort George. The Earl of Cawdor, from whose family name the village is named, owned the land on which the village is built. That part of the village in the parish of Petty is sometimes called Stuarton. Here is an United Presbyterian church, and on a neighbouring eminence the remains of a British fort, Here is also a chalybeate spring, and the village is frequented as a watering-place."
"CONNAGE, (or Fisherton), a fishing village in the parish of Petty, in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Inverness. It is situated on the Moray Firth."
"STUART TOWN, a village in the parish of Petty, county Inverness, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Inverness, on Loch Beauly, near Culloden Moor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003