SMALL ISLES - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SMALL ISLES, a parish in the Hebrides, in the district of Mull, county Argyle, Scotland, except Eigg, which is annexed to the shire of Inverness. It comprises the islands of Rum, Canna, Muck, and Eigg, besides several smaller islands. It was a part of the parish of Sleat till 1726, when it was erected into a separate parochial charge. The parish is in the presbytery of Skye and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £158. There is no parish church, but a schoolhouse at Eigg in which divine service is celebrated. There are also a Free Church preaching station, a Roman Catholic place of worship at Eigg, and a Society school at Muck. A notice of each of these islands is given separately."
"EIGG, (or Egg Island), in the parish of Small Isles, county Inverness, Scotland, 12 miles W. of Arasaig. It is 6 miles in length, and 3 in breadth. The surface is somewhat hilly. The highest summit is Scure-Eigg, and on the coast is a cave 200 feet long. Here are Danish remains, and an old Catholic chapel, near which is the reputed grave of Donnan, the patron saint of Eigg. On the island stands the manse, and there is a school-house.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]