SNIZORT - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"SNIZORT, (or Ascrib Isles) a parish in the island of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland. It contains the village of Uig, It extends about 12 miles in length from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of 6 miles, and is bounded on the N. by the parish of Kilmuir, on the E. by the Sound of Raasay, on the S. by Portree, on the S.W. by Bracadale, and on the W. by Duirinish and Loch Snizort. The surface is of a hilly character, attaining its greatest elevation in the Storr mountains. A large portion of the surface is in sheep-walks and waste. The soil of the arable ground is a mixture of gravel, loam, and clay. In this parish are the extensive glens of Haltin, Hinistil, and Uig; and inside Vaternish Point is Snizort Loch, 14 miles in length by 8 in breadth, and including the Ascrib islands or rocks, with anchorage in 4 to 50 fathoms. The coast is bold and rocky, with the exception of the head of the lochs. Fish and game abound. Near Portree is a cascade of 90 feet fall. In this parish are traces of an ancient church, with many round duns, several Druid stones, and a steeple-like pillar, measuring at the base 360 feet, with an altitude of 300 feet. The village, which is about 24 miles N.W. of Broadford, contains the parish church, and is situated at the head of Snizort Loch. The whole length of the parish is traversed by a road connecting Uig with Portree. This parish is in the presbytery of Skye and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is 158. The parish church was erected in 1805, and enlarged in 1839. There are two Free churches, and a Baptist chapel. There are a sub-parochial school, and an Assembly's school.

"QUIRAING, a mountain in the parish of Snizort, Isle of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, near Uig Loch. It is 1,000 feet in height, and commands views of Skye and the basaltic cliff of Aird."

"STEINSCHOLL, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Kilmuir and Snizort, county Inverness, Scotland. It is situated in Skye Island, near the village of Stein. The living is in the presbytery of Skye, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of about 120. There is also a Free church."

"UIG, a village in the parish of Snizort, island of Skye, in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 5 miles from Kingsburgh, and 30 N.W. of Broadford, near Uig Loch."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)