"URQUHART, (and Glenmorriston) an united parish in county Inverness, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Milntown and East and West Lewiston. It extends in length about 30 miles from E. to W., with a breadth of from 8 to 12 miles; and is bounded on the N. by Kiltarlity, Kirkhill, and Inverness; on the E. by Loch Ness; on the S. by Boleskin and Kilmonivaig; on the S.W. by Ross-shire; and on the W. and N.W. by Kilmorack and Kiltarlity. This district consists of two glens which extend nearly parallel to each other, but are about 8 miles apart. Between the glens is a range of hills, the highest summit, Mealfourvonie, being 2,730 feet, is watered by the rivers, or mountain streams, Coiltie, Enneric, Morriston, and Loch Meikle. Glen Urquhart, which is about 10 miles in length, is fertile and wooded, and considered one of the finest glens in Scotland. The rivulet Enneric, which traverses the glen, forms two cascades at Morrel and Divach, the latter being a fall of 90 feet. The prevailing rocks are porphyritic granite, gneiss, serpentine, limestone, conglomerate, and Old Red sandstone. Game is abundant, especially in Glenmorriston. In the vicinity is the grave of Moni Mor, many cairns, Druid circles, ruined chapels, a fort, and the house of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The parish is traversed by excellent roads up the two chief glens towards Kyle-Rhea and the ferry to Skye, and by two cross roads connecting the glens along Loch Ness. This parish is in the presbytery of Abertarf and synod of Glenelg. The stipend of the minister is about £262. The parish church, situated in Glen Urquhart, was erected about 1840; and at Meikle is a sub-parochial church, built in 1829. There is a Free church for Urquhart, and one for Glenmorriston and Fort-Augustus. There are chapels respectively at Invermoriston and Toraghoil, and an Episcopalian chapel at Corriemony. There are three parochial schools, situated at Glen Urquhart, Meikle, and Glenmorriston. The principal seats are Balmacaan, Glenmorriston, and Corriemony. A fair is held on the Tuesday before Beauly in November.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Urquhart from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Urquhart.