"The inland parish of Arbuthnott, situated almost wholly to the north of the Bervie, extends from near the mouth of that river to where it meets in the west the parish of Fordoun, a distance of 5 miles. With projections in the north and south, it has a length of 6 miles. In the north-west the river Forthy separates it from the parish of Glenbervie, and on the north-east Arbuthnott adjoins the parish of Dunottar. To the east lies Kinneff. On the south Arbuthnott is bordered by the parish of Bervie and on the south-west by Garvock. Fordoun lies to the west. The parish covers an area of 9583 acres, nearly 15 square miles."
The Statistical Account of Scotland The County of Kincardine
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Arbuthnot  are located inc New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at
House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the
years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the
and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check
film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Arbuthnot and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Arbuthnot from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Arbuthnot.