BANCHORY DEVENICK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BANCHORY DEVENICK, a parish, partly in the county of Aberdeen, and partly in county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles to the W. of Aberdeen. It is situated on the seacoast, and on the banks of the river Dee, which is crossed by a suspension bridge 305 feet in length, constructed for foot passengers. The parish contains the villages of Dounies, Findon, and Portlethen, the last of which is a station on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. The soil is of various characters, and the district is partly hilly and heathy. Blue granite of very firm texture is found, but little used on account of the difficulty of working it. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. The living, of the value of £159, is in the presbytery of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the crown. The kirk stands on the left bank of the Dee. There are several endowed schools. Banchory House is the chief residence. Two Druid circles and several tumuli exist here."
"DOWNIES, a village in the parish of Banchory-Devenick, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Banchory."
"FINDON, (or Finnan), a fishing village in the parish of Banchory Devenick, county Kincardine, Scotland, 6 miles S. of Aberdeen. It stands near Findon Moss, and has a small harbour. It is famed for its cured haddocks."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]