BANCHORY DEVENICK, Kincardineshire
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BANCHORY DEVENICK, a parish, partly in the county of Aberdeen, and partly in county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles to the W. of Aberdeen. It is situated on the seacoast, and on the banks of the river Dee, which is crossed by a suspension bridge 305 feet in length, constructed for foot passengers. The parish contains the villages of Dounies, Findon, and Portlethen, the last of which is a station on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. The soil is of various characters, and the district is partly hilly and heathy. Blue granite of very firm texture is found, but little used on account of the difficulty of working it. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. The living, of the value of £159, is in the presbytery of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the crown. The kirk stands on the left bank of the Dee. There are several endowed schools. Banchory House is the chief residence. Two Druid circles and several tumuli exist here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Banchory-Devenick  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS Church:
All records of Civil Registration are held at
House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the
years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the
and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check
film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Banchory Devenick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.